Priming Gueuze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLDanimal

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice for priming gueuze? All the reading I have done says that traditional gueuze has no sugar added and uses young beer to provide the fermentables for bottle conditioning. The tricky part is that the definition of young beer is pretty loose (young beer to one brewery is a couple weeks where another will be 1 years old). I'm working with a 1,2,3 blend with probably 25% 1 year old lambic as the young beer.

Im guessing I could take the FG readings of the old lambics to find their FG then measure the FG of the young lambic to see how far it has to drop to get to the level of the old lambics. I could then take that difference divide it by 4 since it will be 25% of the blend. This will give me the expected gravity drop while in the bottle. I could then expect 1 vol per 2 points of gravity drop and then make up the difference with priming sugar.

What can I expect as far as CO2 loss in the older beers? Do I need to make up for any CO2 loss?

Does anyone have any experience they are willing to share on priming gueuze?

Thanks

Ive always heard 50% 1 year to 25% 2year 25% 3 year.

If the 3 year was held in a barrel (aceto) then 50%, 35%, 15%

Sorry if thats no help but i will be bottling mine next year with the first method.

I will be bottling mine next year.

Technically not a Gueuze then

Do you use open fermenters and rely on natural flora to inoculate any beers you might categorize as Lambic or Gueuze? If not, then technically, not a gueuze!!!!

I think, that if it is not brewed in Belgium, it can't be called a Gueuze, .......... So what is it that you are brewing????

Do you use open fermenters and rely on natural flora to inoculate any beers you might categorize as Lambic or Gueuze? If not, then technically, not a gueuze!!!!

I think, that if it is not brewed in Belgium, it can't be called a Gueuze, .......... So what is it that you are brewing????

Ohhh us crazy Americans and our "wild" ales...

I do rely on natural flora from my local surroundings.
Once inoculated in shallow "Coolships" i rack to fermenters.

I do use Belgian dregs pitches from bottles also.

I try to get as close as i can and TECHNICALLY ive found no where that says they have to be brewing in Belgium

So to answer your question, i think im making lambic gueuze.

Cheers!

Back