Priming for Cider Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose40

Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it on the first couple pages so I figured I'd risk it.

This is my first time making cider. I was wondering if I have to prime for bottling using sugar like I would when I make beer? Or does the cider have enough sugar to carbonate itself?

Also, is pasteurization only so that you have non-carbonated cider? Or will I be making some kind of toxic or vinegar type drink if I don't bother to do any pasteurization?

So to sum up, I've treated this batch like beer. It's in the Carboy right now and will stay there till I want to bottle. When I bottle do I add primer? and is there another necessary step I am missing (like pasteurization)?

I should have added this to to original post (I truly am brand new to cider) - Is there an ideal temp range for fermentation? I'm at around 68 right now.

What about temp for bottle conditioning/aging?

Thanks!

68 is fine for most yeasts, if you let it fully ferment there wont be enough sugar for it to carbonate, you will need to mix in 1 cup sugar per 5 gallons of cider shortly before bottling, and it should not turn them into bombs. if you are worried about making bottle bombs, test a bottle every few days, once its at a desired carbonation, heat pasteurize it.

i have pasteurized both batches i have done, and i think it tastes better than the unpasteurized control bottles i have done, and it kind of artificially ages it, but pasteurizing is not needed.

If your cider is dry there is no more sugar to ferment in the bottles to cause carbonation. Priming is the same as in beer.

Also, is pasteurization only so that you have non-carbonated cider? Or will I be making some kind of toxic or vinegar type drink if I don't bother to do any pasteurization?

Pasteurization is for those us us without a kegging system who want a sweet (not dry) cider with carbonation. Check out the sticky at the top of the page, it's chalk full of great info.

Back