Priming Edwort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd weigh out 3/4 cup of corn sugar, divide the weight by 5, then triple that weight and use that much corn sugar.

I did notice that it is VERY clear, should I shake up some of the yeast to assure carbonation or just let it sit in bottles for another month?

Ok, I just bottled it. Man that is some tasty stuff!! I can't wait to have a little fizz in it, not that I couldn't drink it as is. Actually, I did save a bottle that went straight to the fridge for later! Thanks EdWort!!

Brewing Clamper said:
Ok, I just bottled it. Man that is some tasty stuff!! I can't wait to have a little fizz in it, not that I couldn't drink it as is. Actually, I did save a bottle that went straight to the fridge for later! Thanks EdWort!!

Cool. Glad you like it. Now get started on that next batch. You'll thank me later when that 3 gallons disappears in the summer heat. :)

Hahahaha!!! I have bought 2 extra fermenters JUST for Apfelwein and it's various clones!! The brew closet hath spilt over into the spare room.

How much priming sugar (Dextrose) should be used in a 5 gallon batch? Cant seem to find a definite answer.. Thanks for the help

How much priming sugar (Dextrose) should be used in a 5 gallon batch? Cant seem to find a definite answer.. Thanks for the help

It kinda is going to be up to you. 1 ounce/gallon of priming sugar is fairly standard. You can go even higher like 1.5-2 ounces if you bottle in champagne or belgian beer bottles.

Can I use 5 oz of pasteurized, preservative apple juice per gallon of AW?

I've never done it. I would though use the info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

How much you actually need is going to be based on the sugar content of the juice. So go with the info in there to determine the volume of co2 and how much you need.

Back