Priming Cider with preserved concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bladexen

Reaction score
I have had some apple cider fermenting for 2 weeks now probably going to bottle in another week I have some questions.

I was thinking of priming with apple juice concentrate but the only brand I've found here has got preservatives. Will that work? It has sodium benzonante and pottasium sorbate, I read somwhere that they inhibit the reproduction of the yeast but doesn't actually kill them so they can continue fermenting.

I used honey, agave syrup, maple syrup, and some can sugar to give it some extra sweetness originally. If I were to bottle some in wine bottles without priming sugar would it make something like an apple cyser?

Potassium sorbate would prevent the yeast from multiplying but the yeast could still do their thing. Sodium benzonate will stop yeast from multiplying and can possibly kill yeast. HOWEVER, there have been people who have used cider with both and still got it to ferment. Since youre just asking if it can be used to carb, id say yes but why risk it when there are other options. Theres no way to tell how much youd need. You could bottle without a primer, it just wouldnt be carbonated. Also, you dont want to carbonate in a wine bottle, they arent ment to hold pressure like that (i know you didnt say you were going to, just a heads up since you mentioned wine bottles). Lastly, it may be something like a cyser but it wouldnt be a cyser since honey wasnt the only/main sugar used.

Back