Primary vs secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyNado9

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to this and have been reading a lot of mix reviews on whether to keep the beer I'm the primary or rack to the secondary. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? I have an amber ale that I just racked to a secondary, and a hefeweizen that is currently fermenting. Any input would be great.

Thanks

There is no reason to rack to secondary unless you're harvesting yeast or aging for an extended period of time, like six or more months.

Most here don't secondary, unless for specialties where you are adding fruit or something. Instead most here have luck (myself included) with a 4 week primary. Allows the beer to clear just like with a secondary.

With a hefe there is no need to clear it at all, so especially no need for a secondary. A secondary just gives you more opportunities for oxidation and infection.

Hey everyone,

I am new to this and have been reading a lot of mix reviews on whether to keep the beer I'm the primary or rack to the secondary. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both? I have an amber ale that I just racked to a secondary, and a hefeweizen that is currently fermenting. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Since you are new to this, the easiest is to just leave your beer in primary. It will be fine. That is a big advantage - easy to do.

There are risks associated with using a secondary including contamination and oxidation. These can be dealt with though.

One benefit of a secondary including having access to very active yeast for another batch.

Now debatable is the flavor. Sitting for the longer on the yeast changes the flavor a little compared to beer that used a secondary. Many folks like this, while others prefer the flavor of a beer that used a secondary. This is strictly a personal preference.

I'd recommend sticking with the primary only for now. Once you've got a bunch more batches under the belt and you are comfortable with the all of the processes, try a secondary for a recipe you've recently did primary only for. This way you can decide for yourself.

A secondary is not needed, but you might like it better enough to do the extra work. Or you may feel it is not worth the extra effort, or you might like the primary only better.

Back