primary to secondary chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming you'll be lagering in the secondary since you want to cool down the beer. I can't see any real benefit from this - it would just be something else you have to clean and sanitize. I've never heard of anyone trying this, so I could be completely wrong.

If I understand you correctly, you are brewing a lager beer. If you do this, I think you will shock your yeast and potentially kill them. It should be a slow process. You should drop the temperature a couple of degrees each day until you reach the desire lagering temperature.

duggysbrew said:
would it be worth making up a rig to chill (REALLY COLD) your beer when transfering it from the primary to the secondary. so it cools really quick.
please see attached pic for what i mean, im not the best at discribing stuff.
thanx

duggysbrew,

there are several microbrews that are ales, that they cold condition for three weeks after a primary ferment. but, they usually force carbonate and don't have to rely on any remaining yeast in the bottles to carbonate with? if it's an ale, i would just put my secondary in the fridge, freezer, or whatever you lager/condition in after you rack it. let it sit until it clears, and bottle or keg as usual. you may want to stir up a little sediment when you rack to your bottling bucket, to try and get some live yeats for natural carbonating. i'm sure some others have a opinion or experience in this......

let me know how it turns out. i'll be interested to see.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Latest posts

Back