Primary to secondary already

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkoglu

Reaction score
So i brewed my second atempt at beer this saturday. Brewed Palilalia India Pale Ale from the Joy of Home Brewing book.

Here's the receipe:

5 gal

5 1/2 lbs amber or light malt extract
1 lb crystal malt
1/2 lb toasted malted barley
2 tsp gypsum
2 oz northern brewer hops
3/4oz cascade hops
American ale yeast

og 1.052 - 1.056
fg 1.014 - 1.018

but i modified the receipe to this

5 gal

6 lbs amber malt extract
1 lb crystal malt
1/2 lb toasted malted barley
2 tsp gypsum
2 oz northern brewer hops
1 oz cascade hops
english ale yeast

og 1.060
fg ?

It's been four days and the pale isn't bubbleing any more. I checked the grav and it's 1.018. Should i move it to the secondary now or let it sit for another 3 days?
Will it ferment further in the secondary?

Don't move it yet, give it at least 7 days in primary. Check the gravity again on Friday and Saturday, if it is unchanged then you can rack to secondary.

Racking may rouse some of the yeast and the gravity might drop another few points in secondary, but secondary is not really for fermentation, it is for clearing and bulk aging.

if you move it to the secondary fermentation will come to a stop. Doesn't hurt to just let it sit in the primary for another few days.

i have it sitting in my primary right now. its my first brew. OG 1.052, 6 days in (today) hydrometer reading was 1.014. letting it sit for 2 more days and will test again. would be lying if i said i didn't taste my sample. tasted great, looks fine. It's lacking clarity but i assume it will clear right up.

the difference is that i substituted warrior hops for the cascade, and I am dry hopping with galena.

should be a might fine brew! how did yours turn out?

I'd give it at least 10 days in primary (and a gravity check) before racking into secondary, 14 would be even better. A little longer primary will go a long ways towards better flavor and more complete attenuation, I've noticed a significant improvement in my beers since I started doing the 2 week primary (plus 2 week secondary).

if you move it to the secondary fermentation will come to a stop.

How so? You are not leaving 100% of the yeast behind. yeast +sugar = fermentation. As one who bottle conditions I assure you there is some residual fermentation going on even after prolonged primary and secondary fermentation times.

Prolonged primary (3-4 weeks) then bottle/keg is a common practice, I tend to still secondary for a week or so for additional clarity. Moving after 4 days is too soon.

How so? You are not leaving 100% of the yeast behind. yeast +sugar = fermentation. As one who bottle conditions I assure you there is some residual fermentation going on even after prolonged primary and secondary fermentation times.

Prolonged primary (3-4 weeks) then bottle/keg is a common practice, I tend to still secondary for a week or so for additional clarity. Moving after 4 days is too soon.

and as someone who's racked early and completely stalled their beer, I'll tell you that it happens.

bottle conditioning, and primary fermentation are two different balls of wax.

and as someone who's racked early and completely stalled their beer, I'll tell you that it happens.

I assure you something else was the cause, it was already buggered before you transferred. There is very little chance you will transfer 0% of the yeast especially if you rack too early and it hasn't settled out . Perhaps you had the wort too cold, even then the cane will pick up some yeast.

bottle conditioning, and primary fermentation are two different balls of wax.

Define bottle conditioning. To me it is allowing the residual yeast and some added priming sugar to ferment further to achieve carbondation. In that sense they are the same from a process stand point.

Back