primary to bar vs. primary to secondary to barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

najohns

Reaction score
So I have a 10% RIS in primary right now and somebody just gave me a freshly dumped bourbon barrel I wasn't expecting to have. Should I go directly to the barrel from primary and then bottle age after the barrel, or should I go from the primary to the barrel and then to a tertiary for bulk aging? Preferably I would bulk age in a seconday, barrel age and then bottle, but the barrel is here now and that's not an option. What is the best path for optimum flavor and mimimized oxidation?

Primary to barrel to bottles, then age.
Be careful I did this with a 5 gal freshly dumped barrel and just 3 weeks imparted so much whiskey flavor, it took a year to age out. Check the flavor every few days and bottle when it's ready

Sounds about right. That's what I thought too. Yeah... I'm thinking a week to two will likely do it.

Did the oak actually mellow with age? I've always wondered if that is possible. I have an over oaked scottish stout that has been in the bottle about 6 months and it's rough.

Back