Primary Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrCoastBrew

Reaction score
I am going to be starting my second batch soon and my question is after I get it into the primary is 4 to 5 weeks too long to keep it in there? I have to leave after I get it into the primary for a month or so and if I can't leave it in there that long I will just wait until I get back to start my second batch.

Brew it. 4-5 weeks will be okay, just be sure to pitch healthy yeast and have good sanitation... but you should do both of those things regardless. check out the Mr.malty pitching rate calculator to be sure you don't over pitch, adding too much yeast will increase the chances of bad yeast flavors.

Good brewing!

There's a ton of threads on here about those of us who think leaving our beer in primary for a month, skipping secondary improves our beer...if you search for no secondary or long primary, you will find them. :mug:

I leave all my beer in primary that long. It allows the yeast to finish fermenting, clean up off flavors, and clear the beer. You will probably find you like leaving it that long that you will start doing it regularly too.

Back