Primary temp for Kolsch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So I have been told that I should set my primary temp for my Kolsch at 58 degrees for 14 days and then move the temp down to 38-40 degrees.

I want to know though is it going to take the yeast much longer to start up than usual because I am starting my primary temp at 58?

I was told the beer will be much cleaner and clearer by doing this.

Your thoughts???

58 for the first day maybe but 60-62 after that and then warm it up after about a week. That yeast tends to stall out a bit if left cool

It depends on what yeast. AFIK, the White labs and Wyeast strains are a tad different and WLP029 strain doesn't do well in primary under about 60.

Thats what im brewing now. im at 68-70-ish and its going awesome with wyeast 2525 kolsch yeast. i know thats high temp but i cant complain

I am also using the Wyeast Kolsch. I am told that the beer will be better if fermented low in the primary then moved to the secondary where you cold crash.

I have a kölsch in primary right now. Ambient air temp is at 58º-62º. I leave it for 3-4 weeks at that temp until it reaches F.G. then crash cool.

58F is right, but I would leave it for 3 weeks to ensure complete fermentation and allow for clearing. After that, rack to keg or bottle. If kegging, "lager" for 2-3 weeks at 37F which will result in that sparkling clarity and clean finish that is representative of the style.

Thats what im brewing now. im at 68-70-ish and its going awesome with wyeast 2525 kolsch yeast. i know thats high temp but i cant complain

I brewed mine with the same yeast at 64 and then cold crashed at 35. I held it there for 6 weeks and the beer was a very clear light straw color. I bottled on Monday so it will be a while before I can taste it.

I used Wyeast 2565.

In fact, this is a washed yeast that was first used in January of 2007!

I made a kölsch in Jan of 07,08,09 and now 2010.

Yup. All fermented clean.

I like this kölsch so much that I'm contemplating making another 11 gallons to pitch on the cake.

I have a kölsch in primary right now. Ambient air temp is at 58º-62º. I leave it for 3-4 weeks at that temp until it reaches F.G. then crash cool.

+1. This is how my batch fermented. Took nearly a month for the krausen to fall. Then i let it cool to about 46 for a few more weeks. It cleared real well and is in the bottles now. There's already sediment in the bottles (only been in for 5 days) and the beer is still really clear.

Back