Primary smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBrewthere4Iam

Reaction score
So I have about 6-8 batches under my belt. It seems as my skill set increases my primary gets more stinky. It smells like wonderful uninfected beer. I just used a new primary and even after pbw wash I can smell a faint hint if the last brew.

I also noticed this today in my new primary.

Will this hurt the next batch and is it normal?

What are you fermenting in? What are your practices for cleaning/sanitation?
I use glass carboys for fermentation and never have any lingering smell from previous batches, including stinky ones...

Completely normal if you are brewing in buckets, when empty they always smell like beer. Avoid using anything abrasive when cleaning & sanitizing, and you should be fine. After hundreds of batches, my very first brew bucket (1993) is still in service (and has always smelled like beer!)

Are you sure you aren't smelling carbon dioxide? It doesn't have a "bad" odor but can seem sort of sour... and if you take a big breath of it you start to cough... Just saying

Nope positive that this is beer. Because it smells wonderful, not strong but wonderful.

My big concern was it affecting the next batch. No longer worried as CastleHollow confirmed.

Back