Primary right to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
All,

I have been somewhat lagering an Oktoberfest for 3 months in a chamber. For experimental reasons, I kept it at a stead 55 degrees the whole time. I plan on kegging or bottling this weekend. Am I able to rack right to the keg from here if I decide to?

What if I decide to bottle? Transfer to bottling bucket and go from there I assume.

We are currently in the chamber at 55 in a big mouth bubbler.

Thanks

madscientist451

Reaction score
Sure go for it. You can do primary in the keg if you want to, just get a floating dip tube. If you're bottling, I've been using the sugar cube (domino dot) priming method and skipping the bottling bucket and it works for me.

jjw5015

jwbrews on IG
Reaction score
All,

I have been somewhat lagering an Oktoberfest for 3 months in a chamber. For experimental reasons, I kept it at a stead 55 degrees the whole time. I plan on kegging or bottling this weekend. Am I able to rack right to the keg from here if I decide to?

What if I decide to bottle? Transfer to bottling bucket and go from there I assume.

We are currently in the chamber at 55 in a big mouth bubbler.

Thanks
You can keg or bottle right from primary. If you have to move the fermenter, do it a few days before hand in case anything gets jostled.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
When I switched from bottling to kegging I retired my bottling bucket to a farm in the country. Never looked back. Priming sugar is replaced with co2 and any remaining amendments are added to the keg prior to transfer, just like a bottling bucket. I know there are counter pressure fittings that can be added to a keg to facilitate bottling (say for a competition or take away to a party) but I have never messed with that.