Primary right to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
All,

I have been somewhat lagering an Oktoberfest for 3 months in a chamber. For experimental reasons, I kept it at a stead 55 degrees the whole time. I plan on kegging or bottling this weekend. Am I able to rack right to the keg from here if I decide to?

What if I decide to bottle? Transfer to bottling bucket and go from there I assume.

We are currently in the chamber at 55 in a big mouth bubbler.

Thanks

Sure go for it. You can do primary in the keg if you want to, just get a floating dip tube. If you're bottling, I've been using the sugar cube (domino dot) priming method and skipping the bottling bucket and it works for me.

All,

I have been somewhat lagering an Oktoberfest for 3 months in a chamber. For experimental reasons, I kept it at a stead 55 degrees the whole time. I plan on kegging or bottling this weekend. Am I able to rack right to the keg from here if I decide to?

What if I decide to bottle? Transfer to bottling bucket and go from there I assume.

We are currently in the chamber at 55 in a big mouth bubbler.

Thanks

You can keg or bottle right from primary. If you have to move the fermenter, do it a few days before hand in case anything gets jostled.

When I switched from bottling to kegging I retired my bottling bucket to a farm in the country. Never looked back. Priming sugar is replaced with co2 and any remaining amendments are added to the keg prior to transfer, just like a bottling bucket. I know there are counter pressure fittings that can be added to a keg to facilitate bottling (say for a competition or take away to a party) but I have never messed with that.

Back