Primary Regulator or High Pressure Regulator for secondary regulator application?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a newbie when it comes to kegging. I purchased FOUR SECONDARY REGULATORS so I can carbonate different kegs at various levels. I have two taps at the moment but I purchased the four secondaries so I can expand to four taps in the future.

The confusion I am having at the moment is in regards to the Primary Regulator. Do I need a High Pressure Regulator or can I use a Regular Primary Regulator for the Four Secondary Regulators?

If my Kegerator is set at 37 degrees and my suggested carbonating level is 12 PSI for a 2.5 carbonation I'm confused as to why I would need a high pressure primary regulator when it's suggested to set the primary at your highest carbonating level, which for me would be 12 psi right? Is the High Pressure Regulator overkill or am I missing something?

Below is the picture of my Secondary Regulators.

secondaries.jpg

I've never read of a "high pressure primary regulator" versus a "regular pressure primary regulator". Actually, I've never read of either term being used.

A primary CO2 regulator has to handle the worst-case CO2 tank pressure. It's the first regulator in a system, hence the "primary" thing. Secondary regulators need a primary in front to step down the tank pressure into the zone that the secondary regs can handle, which typically tops out around 60psi or less.

Also, whoever said "set the primary for the highest secondary pressure" probably never actually had a secondary regulator of his/her own, as secondary regulators require pressure differential from in to out, typically around 5 psi. So you'd actually set the primary to the highest secondary pressure plus 5 psi for reliable operation...

Cheers!

Below is what I refer too. I understand how the secondary regulators work.

The information that was given to me is normal Primary Regulators do not perform well at high psi and when operating multiple secondary regulators it is recommended that a High Pressure Primary Regulator be used. Logic tells me that the High Pressure Primary is used with kegerators that dispense soda and beer. Soda is highly carbonated. Beer is not. So perhaps this may be the cause of suggestion for a High Pressure Primary Regulator??!

If everyone on this forum uses an average Primary Regulator with their secondaries I'm more apt to join the Club. :tank: Maybe the High Pressure suggestion is a sales tactic in the same regard as "Do you want to Super Size that?" in which my response is, "Nah. I'll just have another beer!". :mug:

942B - High Pressure Double Gauge Mixed Gas Primary Co2 Regulator

This high pressure double gauge CO2 regulator is designed for use in gas blender or nitrogen generator applications. The regulator features a durable forged brass body with a permanent quad-ring inlet seal at the tank connection and a flow control inlet nipple filter. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...essure_mixed_gas_double_gauge_regulator.shtml

High Pressure.jpg

I suppose it had to happen, something shows up that I've never seen before.

No, you don't need that thing. It appears to only be useful for gas blending, which you're not doing. Carbonated sodas typically run from 2 to 4 volumes of CO2 which can be achieved by "regular" regulators at dispensing temperature.

And in any case, you're going to be setting it to around 20psi anyway, so what's the point of a higher max output? Just use a cheaper, "regular" primary regulator like everyone else...

Cheers!

Back