Primary idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plantnerd

Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on the viability of this as a 2nd primary fermentor. We have them on clearance at work, and since beginning brewing, it clicked that I might be able to use this for a larger primary. I have calculated a 10 gal. capacity based on my measurements, but am looking for ideas as to what to do with the two holes placed on the side of the unit. I guess I could get an airlock in the top, but what do you think about the bottom hole?

71501.gif

It's the same grade of plastic as the plastic primary I am currently using. I have thought about putting a faucet valve in for racking.

Does anyone see problems with putting the airlock off to one side, as opposed to being in the center of the lid? I guess I could drill a hole in the lid and grommet it, but with the hole already there...

I would really love to go glass for the primary, but the funds are not here right now, and this is essentially free, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Airlock to the side is no big deal other than it's a little lower on the fermenter, so if your batch is big enough, it will be a bit more likely to blow off. You'll have to rig some sort of right-angle plug for it so the airlock sits upright.

Janx said:
Airlock to the side is no big deal other than it's a little lower on the fermenter, so if your batch is big enough, it will be a bit more likely to blow off. You'll have to rig some sort of right-angle plug for it so the airlock sits upright.
I was thinking a PVC 90 elbow, with male threads on one side. I figured I could fit a stopper into the other end, and put my airlock in there. Think I could place another elbow on the inside with a standpipe of sorts up closer to the top? That would leg gasses escape as well, and allow for more fermentation room.

plantnerd said:
I was thinking a PVC 90 elbow, with male threads on one side. I figured I could fit a stopper into the other end, and put my airlock in there. Think I could place another elbow on the inside with a standpipe of sorts up closer to the top? That would leg gasses escape as well, and allow for more fermentation room.

Yeah that sounds awesome. Are those holes already conveniently threaded for you?

Janx said:
Yeah that sounds awesome. Are those holes already conveniently threaded for you?

Unfortunately, the holes are not threaded for me, but a 1" PVC fitting with threads DOES fit quite nicely. I figure if I get some sort of grommet to seal it off, I'll be good to go.

Is the inside smooth? The reason I ask is because on pond and aquarium filters a rough surface is good. You want more area for bacteria to grow.

The inside is smooth. The container is intended to be a biological filter, and is currently filled with "biomedia" which are plastic pieces about the size of a tennis ball, with a large amount of surface area, but the container itself is smooth inside and out.

Back