Primary Fermenter Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmcabee

Reaction score
I always switch from my primary plastic bucket to my secondary glass carboy at day 6 because I was told the plastic will ruin beer so to speak. My question is what if the fermentation in primary wasn't finished and I exposed it to air before it was done fermenting. I know in the secondary its still fermenting but did I cut off the primary too soon?

Plastic will not ruin your beer... you can leave it in there until it is ready to transfer 1-2 weeks is not a problem. A month or more, it may oxidize a little more readily in plastic. As far as transferring to quickly, it wont hurt the beer, you are just taking it off the yeast, so the remainder of your ferment may be a little slow.

The Pol

I agree. Let it stay in your bucket until the primary fermentation is completed. If you are worried about the plastic, get a 6.5 gallon glass container. They are not that expensice. Somewhere around 25.00.

I've gone longer than a month in my plastic primaries a few times, maybe close to two on one. I haven't noticed any ill affects on those bottles over a year later.

Latest posts

Back