Primary fermenter (Ale Pail) with no gasket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckNut

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forums, and new to home brewing in general. I've been putting together some equipment and plan on brewing my first batch in about a week. I have a primary fermenter with no spigot and a glass carboy for secondary. Today I decided after doing a lot of research to go get a bottling bucket as well. I bought an "Ale Pail" from my LHBS with a spigot installed...I decided to buy a lid as well thinking that sometime down the road I may use it as a fermenter as well. When I got home I realized there is not a rubber gasket in the lid. Is this going to be an issue if I eventually use it as a fermenter?

Thanks in advance

No, it's fine. If I recall my Ale Pail doesn't have a black rubber ring gasket in the lid either. It's still air tight.

Your LHBS should sell drilled rubber stoppers that fit in the hole of the lid. The hole drilled in the stopper should fit an airlock (and a 5/16" tube for a blowoff, which you should also consider). I have 4 fermenting buckets, and only one has a gasket. I actually like the rubber stoppers because they're easier to sanitize and give a better airtight fit. It's also easier to see what's going on in your bucket, if you need to. My LHBS carries those stoppers as a normal part, so I'd be surprised if yours didn't.

Happy Holidays

Thanks for the replies... @jbambuti, I have the rubber stopper inserted in the hole drilled for the air lock, so I'm not too concerned about that. I was more worried about the big black rubber gasket that normally goes around the entire circumference of the lid. I was mainly hoping I didn't accidentally get a lid that just happened to be missing that gasket, but if that's just hte way the ale pails are designed I guess it should be alright.

Yeah, if you have one of those that have "Ale Pail" printed on the side, they don't come with a seperate gasket. They fit so tight, they are pretty near air tight as it is. Besides, the amount of pressure the CO2 will make escaping would pretty much prevent any nasties from getting in anyway.

My two original buckets didn't have rubber gaskets are are still working fine after 7 years. I bought two new buckets that have the rubber gasket and I hate the things. They are a pain to remove.

John

Yeah, if you have one of those that have "Ale Pail" printed on the side, they don't come with a seperate gasket. They fit so tight, they are pretty near air tight as it is. Besides, the amount of pressure the CO2 will make escaping would pretty much prevent any nasties from getting in anyway.

Back