Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinisterdeer

Reaction score
This is my 2nd batch of beer, but this time I dont hear the bubbles from the airlock like with my last batch. I do see little bubbles. Is this something I should be worried about? It has been in the primary bucket for 12 days now. Also how long should I leave it in there? Last batch I kept it in there 2 weeks, should I let it sit for longer then that?

Attachments

• 20210328_155726.jpg
    20210328_155726.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Plastic buckets are notorious for not sealing very well. Your beer will be fine since the lid will still do a good job keeping any contaminates out of the bucket, but the co2 is finding someplace else to escape instead of through the airlock.

Thank you! I was so worried.And I think moving forward I will just be using the glass carboy.

Thank you! I was so worried.And I think moving forward I will just be using the glass carboy.

If by "the glass carboy" you mean one that came in a kit that also included a fermentation bucket, be aware that the carboy is probably a 5 gallon* carboy, i.e. it wouldn't have the extra headspace needed for primary fermentation of a 5 gallon* batch.

(*Or whatever is the nominal batch size the kit is intended for.)

The plastic bucket may worry you because you can't see the bubbles in the airlock but it will never explode into razor sharp shards of glass that can send you to the emergency room. I have done a few hundred batches in plastic buckets and never had one fail to ferment.

That cap on the airlock looks on real tight, it's not sealed it off has it? if it has as all above say the gas will find its' way out of the vessel thru the lid seal. Those little bubbles could actually be a bit of carbonation occurring in that air lock fluid. I think it's unlikely though.
Assume that you have had it in roughly the yeast temperature range for those 12 days?
If you have likely that the ferment is done and you can move onto the next stage. Have you done a gravity reading or cracked the lid open a bit to peek in and at least sniff. Lots of CO2 if inhaled is quite scorching to the nose.

That cap on the airlock looks on real tight, it's not sealed it off has it? if it has as all above say the gas will find its' way out of the vessel thru the lid seal.

What does this mean? i.e. what part of the airlock sealed off from what? It sounds like you're saying the cap (i.e. the flat part at the top) may be too tight on the airlock body. But unless that's a very unusual airlock, the cap should have holes in it, which is how the CO2 is normally expected to escape.

Or do you mean the bell? It appears to be sitting low, which you would expect when there's little/no pressure at the moment. And there's plenty of room above it, which will allow movement once there is pressure. Even if there wasn't (room to move up), it would have to be literally glued to the stem to block CO2.

Last edited:
This is my 2nd batch of beer, but this time I dont hear the bubbles from the airlock like with my last batch. I do see little bubbles. Is this something I should be worried about? It has been in the primary bucket for 12 days now. Also how long should I leave it in there? Last batch I kept it in there 2 weeks, should I let it sit for longer then that?
During active fermentation you won't get little bubbles like your picture shows, you will get a burp as the co2 lifts the bell off the stem in the airlock. If you watch it it will lift at an angle and the gas will escape under the high side and immediately rise to the surface. If you suspect the bucket lid is leaking you can seal it with packing tape or that stretchy saran wrap like stuff they sell on those hand rollers. I use glass carboys for the visibility but they are heavy and many people have accidents with them, although you can buy a plastic one.

I'd think the smaller bubbles are gas that was already dissolved in the liquid you put in the airlock and coming out of solution. Maybe even CO2 gas from your ferment that dissolved as it passed through while the temperature was lower and now possibly your ambient air temperature has risen.

I would just press firmly with my hands the cap because sometimes it seems to be well closed, but it is not.

Fermentation is over when the density remain stable for three days. The typical way to measure density is through a hydrometer.

I haven't looked at it yet! But I will. Also will do a 2nd hydrometer reading. Thank you!

after 2 weeks it's likely done. That's why you don't see any bubbles. Unless it's a high OG beer but since you said it's your second beer I'm gonna guess it's not High gravity.

BTW, those glass carboys are a pain to clean. You will need special long brushes. plus you have to siphon the beer. There is a lot to be said for the plastic bucket...easy cleaning, easy access, easy pour spigot.

I've had 2 glass carboys, 2 fermonsters….and I still go back to my original plastic bucket (1993 vintage)...

Back