Primary fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
For primary firmentation is it better to use a primary bucket or a 6 gal carboy? Does it matter?

I'm sure you will get about a 50-50 response on this. I will offer up my opinion. I choose glass for 2 reasons. The first is cleanliness/sanitation. Plastic buckets can scratch easily, which gives bacteria a place to hide. With glass, I don't have to worry about it getting scratched. Second, I like having the ability to watch the fermentation process. With a bucket I would have to remove the lid any time I wanted to check on the progress. With glass, simply lift the towel off the carboy. Its really cool to watch fermentation take place.

Having said all that, the biggest reason people will choose plastic is safety. If you drop a glass carboy, you may as well dial 911 before it hits the floor.

vtfan99 said:
If you drop a glass carboy, you may as well dial 911 before it hits the floor.
My entire kingdom for anyone who can succesfully accomplish this. ;)

I agree with vtfan here...glass is probably better, but plastic will do just fine. If you don't have either yet, go for the glass, but if you've already got a bucket don't hesitate to use it, especially if SWMBO keeps asking "...tell me again how much money you've saved so far?" :mad:

I shattered a carboy in my apt. shower years back, it contained the shards of glass for cleanup but I would ocassionally "find" pieces of it stuck in my feet months later..

That was the only time I would have preferred plastic. But like El Pistolero said, if you have plastic there is no problem using it.

Bucket by far. No, wait, Carboy is better. Nah, bucket. Well...maybe the carboy after all. Then again..

I am very new to this whole thing too but here is my take.

You can't go wrong with glass.... It could well stand to have a better way to hold on to them, but you can get the nylon strap carriers and carboy handles
I don't like the bucket idea at all, but I like Glass for the same reasons cited.
I use Glass for the Primary and Glass as secondary and then Keg it....
I don't use bottles though :D

Went out and bought my starter stuff at the local HBS this afternoon.

6 1/2 gal carboy
5 gal carboy
racking cane
siphon starter
siphon hose
carboy brush
Iodine sanitizer
Wine thief
hydrometer
thermometers
bungs for the carboys
air locks
and a Phil's Filler

Bought a keg on e-bay for 20 bucks plus shipping. I'll be converting that to my brew kettle.

I'll be making my own wort chiller too.

O' I also picked up some:
camden tables
pectin enzyme
for the Cyser I'll be brewing for my second project after my partial mash wee heavy. I should have it all together and be brewing by Labor day weekend.

Yes, I still need some stuff for sure.

I'll either make a botteling bucket or make one toward the end of the fermentation of this first batch. I'll be picking up the bottles and a capper then too.

That's what I did.. :D

I'm working on enough to cover a 2nd batch right now. lol

Back