Primary Fermentation Too Hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanafos

Reaction score
Have a first batch of Cab in the primary fermenter. Everything is in my office in my basement which tends to be at 65-67 degrees in the winter. Fermentation was off to a very slow start so I purchased a FermWrap and plugged it in yesterday (40 watt heater that wraps arounf half of the fermenter, covering about 2 sq feet). Well, fermentation is going full bore for teh second day and I thought I should check the temp to see the temp difference the heater made. I just pulled my thermometer out and read 90 degrees and panicked a bit. I unplugged the FermWrap and sat down to type this. I'm concerned that I will have off flavors, etc as a result of this. Looking for insight and suggestions. I will be purchasing the thermowell and controller tomorrow to avoid this situation in the future. This first batch is a Cellar Classic Winery Series Cabernet Sauvignon that cost me $145 for the kit and I really don't want to screw it up. Directions call for primary fermenter temp of 70-80 degrees. Thanks...

Based on my limited experience, you won't get off-flavors from high temps. You might get a few byproducts, but the flavor won't be affected quite the way it is when ale ferments at higher temps. It should be fine.

If this is your first wine then the other mistakes you will probably make will affect the taste a lot more than the temperature. ;)

I think this is part of the reason Yoop (and others) prefer to brew wine in the summer and beer in the winter... because you don't have to fight the thermostat.

90F will kill the yeast (some, most, maybe not all). I use the brew belt and about day 2 the temp starts climbing from the rapid fermentation and I unplug it. On day 3 or 4, I plug it back in when the temp starts to drop back down then quit use on day 7.

I use a long meat thermometer and stick it through where the airlock goes since I just lay the lid on loose anyhow in the primary. I just leave it there to keep an eye on the core temp. You can see it sticking through the lid on this video

Last edited by a moderator:
Back