Primary Fermentation Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam516

Reaction score
My First batch is in my primary for 5 days now- about 2 days ago it stopped bubbling up from the airlock. And the 1-2 inches of foam is gone- it never got to the top of my carboy at all-- is there a problem? I'm sure it'll make beer- I'm just interested in some clarification

You're fine. Air lock activity is no indicator of fermentation. Leave it another few weeks then take a gravity reading.

Depending on the yeast and temperature, a lot of ales will finish the most active fermenting in a 2-3 days. So, the yeast is probably done with most of the sugar and thus the slowing of bubbles and the falling of the krausen. Have you taken any specific gravity measurements? Specific gravity is the only real way of tracking fermentation progress.

Depending on the yeast and temperature, a lot of ales will finish the most active fermenting in a 2-3 days. So, the yeast is probably done with most of the sugar and thus the slowing of bubbles and the falling of the krausen. Have you taken any specific gravity measurements? Specific gravity is the only real way of tracking fermentation progress.

This is excellent advice. Also, if you can be patient (I know it's hard :D), give the yeast at least another week to clean up any stuff they may have left behind. It'll make your beer even tastier!

What would be the difference in taste if I bottled after 1 week compared to- say- 3 weeks? How different?

After three weeks the beer will be much clearer. Out of curiosity, what yeast did you use?

Also, after 3-4 weeks in the primary it will be more well-rounded, less harsh. There will be significantly fewer byproducts of fermentation left in suspension if you wait to bottle. I know its difficult not to bottle and drink it ASAP, but your brew will only benefit from time. Its not just about clarity. There are MANY advantages to primary fermentation >2 weeks. Try it out. Krausen and airlock activity are NOT indicative of what else your yeast is doing in the clean up after the initial fermentation is winding down. If you get krausen all the way up to the top of your carboy you risk losing some beer, so good strategy to keep 4-4.5 gals in a 5 gal carboy or 5 gals in a 6.5 gal carboy! Well done! Break out the blow off tube if necessary, but far better not to lose that brew.

We used white labs wo001 California ale yeast---
Thanks for all the advice!

We decided to brew a second batch while we were waiting - just because we got the bug.

Here's the recipe:
Steep: 1/2 lbs crystal 10L
1/4 lbs biscuit malt

6lbs light malt extract dried

2 oz fuggles 60min
1 oz Kent goldings 60 min
1 oz wilamette 10 min

East coast ale yeast from white labs

What do u think?

That is a very British looking beer, try using a British yeast, just read the descriptions to find the one most like what you're looking for. I would use the kent goldings to dry hop if I were you.

Back