Primary fermentation done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1rGr1nG0

Reaction score
I checked the carboy in my closet this morning and the airlock has nearly completely stopped moving. The past few days it had been churning pretty good but now it's only moves every few minutes or longer. The foam on top of the beer has dissipated as well. It's still pretty cloudy at this point but I'm guessing that fermentation is just about finished? I brewed this batch last Sunday so it's been fermenting for about 4 days. I finished it Sunday evening and when I woke up the next morning it was bubbling like crazy.

What now?

Should I transfer it to a secondary fermenter or bottle it? Do I need to put anything in it if I put it in a secondary? I made the "Brewers Best Summer Ale".

When the rapid bubbling slows or stops,it's only past initial fermentation. It'll now slowly,uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. The I give it 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. so leave it be & let it finish.

Gotcha!
I'll be heading to the LHBS today for another carboy, some bottles, and another recipe kit. I'm a firm believer in preparedness! :tank:

No need for secondary especially since its a lighter ale. However, you may consider a 2-3 week primary for full conditioning. After primary, move the beer to a bottling bucket and then into bottles (I assume bottles rather than keg).

Gotcha!
I'll be heading to the LHBS today for another carboy, some bottles, and another recipe kit. I'm a firm believer in preparedness! :tank:

Buy a hydrometer too. Then you'll know for sure that your fermentation is complete.

Skip the secondary. They're almost always unnecessary...

Back