primary fermentation carboy not full

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiBeerMan

Reaction score
So I juiced around 2 bushels of apples and came up way short filling my 6.5 carboy up. I have just little over 4 gallons which is just shy of 2/3 full. How bad is this and if it is an option can i just add some store bought apple juice to fill it full? Its presently in the 24-36 hr campden tablet wait

So I juiced around 2 bushels of apples and came up way short filling my 6.5 carboy up. I have just little over 4 gallons which is just shy of 2/3 full. How bad is this and if it is an option can i just add some store bought apple juice to fill it full? Its presently in the 24-36 hr campden tablet wait
I don't think that's bad.. when fermentation kicks in, I would think the gases being released would push any oxygen out and prevent oxidation. While the campden tablets are in.. the sulfites act as an antioxidant. You might get a little bit of oxidation between the two stages, I don't see why you can't add store bought juice though. Just make sure it has no preservatives in it.

Back