Primary fermentation and dry-hopping schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeydinner

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just brewed my 9th batch (8th all-grain in a row) and I have accumulated much information about all aspects of brewing, but there is something I have found conflicting information about.

Note: With this question I am targeting APAs and IPAs specifically.

The issue is about primary fermentation days and dry hopping.

I will list the conflicting information below:

* Jamil Zainasheff said that he dry-hops when fermentation is ~95% complete.
I think he meant that the beer has a tiny bit of fermentation to do, and during that it consumes the oxygen introduced with the hops so as not to get oxidation. Also the new CO2 produced will re-blanket the fermenting wort.

* Most sources state that _fermentation_ will be complete in 4-7 days(eg no more notable airlock activity after that time). But they still keep the wort in primary for at least two weeks(total) to let the yeast clean up after themselves.

* It is generally recommended to keep the dry-hops in for 7 days. But as little as 3-4 may be the minimum. If kept over 7 days grassy flavours may develop.

So let's assume I have the following (reasonable) requirements:
* Want to dry-hop for 7 days
* Want to keep in primary for at least 2 weeks, max 3
* Want the fermentation to be ~90-95% complete when dry-hopping

I cannot see a time-frame that would allow me to have all these requirements met. IPAs and APAs tend to be "95% complete" in under a week. If I dry hop then, the hops would be over a week in my primary.

How can I balance this all out? What is your take/experience on this?

Thanks a bunch.

I think you are overthinking it. I usually primary only (no secondary) and crack the lid and throw the dry hops in at week 3 and bottle/keg at week 4. I think dry hopping for up to 10 days is fine. I've had several recipes with two stage dry hopping schedules with the first stage being in for 10 days.

As far as Co2 goes, it is heavier than air so if you toss them in quickly the co2 blanket will protect the beer. Suppose you could stick in a couple of ounces of sugar or malt to restart fermentation if your really worried.

I too do single stage (primary only) most of the time. I dry hop 7 days with no ill effects. But I dry hop only after FG is reached & the beer's settling out clear or slightly misty. Otherwise the hop oils coat the settling yeast & trub, going to the bottom with them.

I think you are overthinking the timeline. You don't have to let the beer finish in two weeks. You could easily dry hop a few points from terminal gravity and then just know you would be fine when the dry hop regime was through. It's about knowing your system and how it works with the beers you're making. I will brew my APA and dry hop around day 5 for 5-7 days which allows me to turn around the beer in 10-14 days. Works for me, but that's because I've brewed it 10+ times and know pretty much exactly what it's doing.

I also only primary except for beers over 10%, but it's all a matter of preference. My last SMaSH I dry hopped at 1 week and left for 10 days before bottling, it may not be the best method according to the experts whose livelihood revolves around the science and chemistry associated with brewing, but it works for me and I brew the best beer I can on the time schedule that I have. Best of luck to you in your future brews!

Back