primary contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddknight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a milk stout this past Sunday and things were going well in the primary. Today I checked on it again and the rubber stopper had blown out of the carboy b/c the airlock was clogged. I'm not sure how long ago it happened and could be up to 48 hours ago. When I replaced the stopper in the carboy there was definitely activity going on still so it's not finished yet but I'm wondering what the chances are that the beer could be contaminated. My thought is that during this high activity state of the beer that not much bacteria could survive but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

There are too many factors at play for me to know from my desk at work. But you will know when you taste it.

In the meantime, my advice is to not worry about it. Though I realize that isn't easy. It will likely be fine. I've had that same thing (or very similar) happen without issue.

You are very correct that with so much pressure blowing out, nothing is getting in. Bungs blow out every day but you know I've never seen anyone come back and say that their beer didn't turn out just fine.

Back