primary churning!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ekjohns

Reaction score
i tossed in some kolsch yeast last night into an oktoberfest and 18 hrs later the primary is actually churning as if someone was sturing it! airlock is going crazy, and yet no krussen. this common with kolsch?

pompeiisneaks

Why that human mask?
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know w/ kolch, but I've had several ale yeasts that caused massive movement int he wort, it was really cool to see, the thing was like someone was stirring it...

EvilGnome6

Reaction score
Damn you, Ale Pail. Damn you and your white walls!
LOL

I just did my first batch in a Better Bottle and it was well worth it, just in terms of the entertainment value of watching the yeast churning inside the carboy. It's such a beautiful thing to see.

Pappers_

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with the Gnome - watching fermentation is good old fashioned entertainment.

LOL

I just did my first batch in a Better Bottle and it was well worth it, just in terms of the entertainment value of watching the yeast churning inside the carboy. It's such a beautiful thing to see.

Random_Guy

Reaction score
Mine did that too when I pitched a British Ale wyeast into my brown ale. Was like someone was stirring it. Was really cool too see.

Frank

Reaction score
Does the light not skunk the beer if you have it in a better bottle and always watch it? Just how much light does it take to create off flavors?

IXVolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
On Monday I brewed a hefe and pitched some windsor yeast. On Tuesday you could see it rolling around in the carboy like an inebriated teen stuck in a mosh-pit.

EvilGnome6

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it takes more than a few minutes of indirect light exposure to skunk a bear. I don't worry about admiring the yeasties in action.

rickr

Reaction score
This is an IPA that I just did. This is from day 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

azscoob

Brewpub coming soon!
Reaction score
I shot a few short vids of my ale churning like mad, next batch I think I may use a webcam so I can watch the show live while I'm at work. Sad thing is I have friends that want to watch, they say its mesmerizing... like a beer lava lamp!

BlackTieBrewing

Reaction score
I just brewed a Kolsch friday with Wyeast Kolsch yeast and it's doing the same thing. I had to put a blow off tube on it because my airlock was full of krausen.