primary bucket liners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read this the other day:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/smelly-bucket-98145/

I have been a little sceptical of my buckets lately and I wanted a way to take them out of the equation for some occasional off flavors/aromas I have been noticing.

I liked Gila's idea of using the oven bags but they are a bit pricey.

I did a little searching and found these:

http://plexsupply.net/Universal-LowDensity-Flat-Poly-Bags-20/M/B002XK5WLW.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

I guess reasonably heavy at 2mil and food safe. Works out to about $0.08 per brew after shipping. Plus no more bucket cleaning and savings on chemical cleaners. 500 will last me for years!

Anyone else doing anything similar? Do you think these will work out?

It is a very interesting idea, I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out for you. I am lucky to have hardish water where after 3-4 rinses I can be sure there is no residue so I wash my plastic fermenters out with dawn dishwashing detergent thoroughly after each use. I rinse like a mad man and have never had a problem with head, head retention, head history or anything that a reduced surface tension from soap might bring. That said, a liner might be a good idea if there are no pitfalls. It seems inexpensive and would be easy... how about the seal from the top of the fermenter? Would it still be true? You are planning to overlap the bag around the lip and then cover to ferment, right? Or how will you do it?

It is a very interesting idea, I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out for you. I am lucky to have hardish water where after 3-4 rinses I can be sure there is no residue so I wash my plastic fermenters out with dawn dishwashing detergent thoroughly after each use. I rinse like a mad man and have never had a problem with head, head retention, head history or anything that a reduced surface tension from soap might bring. That said, a liner might be a good idea if there are no pitfalls. It seems inexpensive and would be easy... how about the seal from the top of the fermenter? Would it still be true? You are planning to overlap the bag around the lip and then cover to ferment, right? Or how will you do it?

Yeah, I was just planning to wrap the bag over the lip of the bucket, sanitize, fill and snap the lid on. I am not sure how the bag would effect the seal. Do you think a good seal is a real issue on a primary? A few of my non-Ale Pails don't seal worth a darn anyway.

Back