Primary and Seconday time for this brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korben

Reaction score
I just purchased my second brew kit (Click Here) Its a Nut Brown Ale... I know the instructions will say one week in primary and then bottle condition. But I was thinking maybe 3-4 weeks in primary and I have no idea about secondary (just got a great 6.5 gallon glass carboy for my secondary!!! :ban:) What should i do as long primary and secondary time?

I do 10 days in primary, then check the gravity. If I've reached my expected FG I rack it to secondary for 2 weeks or so.

IMO If you're going to leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks there will be no need for secondary. Personally I like to get them into secondary so I can start another batch in the primary.

I just purchased my second brew kit (Click Here) Its a Nut Brown Ale... I know the instructions will say one week in primary and then bottle condition. But I was thinking maybe 3-4 weeks in primary and I have no idea about secondary (just got a great 6.5 gallon glass carboy for my secondary!!! :ban:) What should i do as long primary and secondary time?

Primary until you are sure all fermentation has ceased. Then you can secondary or you can leave it on the yeast to settle and condition. Conditioning on the yeast cake has advantages. Such as having enough yeast to reabsorb a lot of the byproducts of fermentation that would not be done if you rack off the yeast.

If you only leave it in primary for a little while, like less than 1 to 1 1/2 months, then you need not worry about autolysis.

boo boo and ifishsum his the nail on the head. I do 10 days to 2 weeks in primary, then secondary two weeks before bottling.
Three weeks in the bottle minimum for most styles.

Four weeks in primary, then bottle. Nut Browns are one type of beer I think benefits from a little bulk aging on yeast to round out the flavors. Of course, I say this about all beers ;) but it is particularly true with nut browns to get that mellow malty flavor.

Four weeks in primary, then bottle. Nut Browns are one type of beer I think benefits from a little bulk aging on yeast to round out the flavors. Of course, I say this about all beers ;) but it is particularly true with nut browns to get that mellow malty flavor.

HEY! Are you stalking me?!?! :D You keep showing up everywhere I have posted.
Never done a nut brown, by the way. Just providing a good rule of thumb.

I think i am going a month in primary.. Should i bottle directly from the primary or go secondary for another 2 weeks to a month?

If you're going to primary for 4 weeks or so then no need for secondary. The point of secondary is to clear the beer up which is why it was suggested before that you get it off primary as soon as fermentation is done. It's a Ford /Chevy thing. A number of people are just leaving it in primary then bottling or kegging.

I think i am going a month in primary.. Should i bottle directly from the primary or go secondary for another 2 weeks to a month?

You'll go primary to bottling bucket to mix the sugar for carbonation then right into bottles. Let it condition in the bottles for a couple of weeks then try one. Often takes 3-4 weeks in bottle to settle down.

Back