Primary and Secondary - Same temp each?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
A five gallon carboy of brown ale has been in my Cool Brewing cooler, with wort temp of 60-64 for the full week. I'm going to rack to secondary today (will likely stay there for a week); after putting it back in the cooler, what temp should I aim for?
Thanks

A five gallon carboy of brown ale has been in my Cool Brewing cooler, with wort temp of 60-64 for the full week. I'm going to rack to secondary today (will likely stay there for a week); after putting it back in the cooler, what temp should I aim for?
Thanks

There is no need to secondary a brown ale. The beer will be just fine in the primary fermenter for at least a couple months if you want to leave it that long. The beer also does not need to be kept cool anymore. Room temp is just fine. I would typically leave my browns in the fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks, then bottle.

There is no need to secondary a brown ale. The beer will be just fine in the primary fermenter for at least a couple months if you want to leave it that long. The beer also does not need to be kept cool anymore. Room temp is just fine. I would typically leave my browns in the fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks, then bottle.

+1, I agree. Just leave it alone and skip the secondary, and warm it up a little if possible (don't exceed 70 F). Easier this way.

There is no need to secondary a brown ale.....

Would racking to secondary help with finished clarity? There was a lot of crud flying around while it was in active fermentation...

Very little if any. That crud will settle down in the primary in time.
I doubt you would notice any difference in clarity and if you did it would not offset the disadvantages of racking to a secondary. Chance of infection, cleaning a second fermentor, possible oxidation, extra work, etc....

I would use that second fermentor as another primary and start another batch :)

Very little if any. That crud will settle down in the primary in time.
I doubt you would notice any difference in clarity and if you did it would not offset the disadvantages of racking to a secondary. Chance of infection, cleaning a second fermentor, possible oxidation, extra work, etc....

I would use that second fermentor as another primary and start another batch :)

I like the way you think!:mug:

Back