Primary and secondary fermentation !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saud

Reaction score
What is the diffrent between the primary and secondary fermentation of grape wine

And is there time for primary and secondary

Then what happin in each stage

Thank for all

I am happy to join you

In grapespeak, it usually means primary ferment with yeast, and secondary ferment phase with malolactic bacteria.

And then some refer to containers as primary, usually buckey, or at least with wide surface area exposure to oxyfen, and secondary is carboy under airlock.

So if i use a towel in primary is better ?

And how many dayes for primary fermentation ?

Towel???? Primary is with active yeast. Secondary is with or without active or inactive yeast. As for how long, your refractometer or hydrometer to determine the primary and your style of winemaking will determine the secondary.

Saud said:
So if i use a towel in primary is better ?

And how many dayes for primary fermentation ?

Yes you can cover primary with towel, stir once or twice a day, punch down the cap of fruit pulp, if there is one, that will rise to the top. One indicator of when to rack to secondary is you notice cap is sinking, and staying down..plus you rely on hydrometer. Some transfer at 2/3 sugar break, others wait longer.

Thanks for all

Saramc

Thank you too much

Thats what i need to know :)

But are you sure that if skin go down .. Thats mean the primary fermentation is finish ?

Saud said:
Thanks for all

Saramc

Thank you too much

Thats what i need to know :)

But are you sure that if skin go down .. Thats mean the primary fermentation is finish ?

It is a sign that many oldtimers use that when cap starts to sink on its own that you can transfer to carboy, place airlock and let the ferment complete. By one month the wine is usually dry, SG less than 1.000 and then it starts to clear, dropping sediment, etc. But seriously, use hydrometer to take starting SG, and when has decreased by 2/3 rack to carboy. Depending on temperature the sugar break or the sinking of must occurs around days 3-5-7....due to variables like temp and yeast used.

Back