Preventing staining/discoloration on stovetop during brewing... need suggestions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1036

Reaction score
We just upgraded our kitchen stovetop to include a 20000 btu burner - pretty awesome!

Downside: the first batch I brewed caused the brushed stainless steel to stain purple/blue because of using such high heat for an extended time (definitely not from boil-over), making the otherwise very supportive wife... well... less than supportive. It is an absolute pain to remove, and I would much rather prevent it. Brewing outside is something I hope to do more of, but brewing inside is something that I'd like to continue having as an option.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this staining/discoloration from excessive high heat on stainless steel stovetops? I've thought of just lining the stovetop with aluminum foil, but I would think that would only save me in the case of boilovers.

Any help is appreciated!!

I have no experience with SS stovetops, but if you bought a stove that incorporates a 20 kBTU burner, shouldn't you be able to use that bad boy for all it's worth? I'd be careful with using aluminum foil in that environment, it could leave worse marks when it melts and be dangerous when it burns.

The blueing is just a cosmetic issue, IMO. I guess it's from the heat built up between the kettle's bottom and the stove top. Has the drip pan also turned blue? Did the kettle turn blue too?

There has been some discoloration on the pot, but that's been used 50+ times for brewing so I haven't noticed a huge difference in how gross it may have gotten just from this past boil. As for the stovetop, really only the raised edge of the stove (around the outside) has blued. And yes, it's purely cosmetic, but that's where my wife comes in. Perhaps if this were a beat-up old stove she wouldn't care, but it's brand new and she prefers that it look that way for as long as possible.

Good to know about the aluminum foil!

I'll probably contact the manufacturer next. You have a good point, if they're going to boast a burner of that strength, you'd think they would complement it with appropriate materials that can withstand that kind of heat.

Any other ideas? I'm expecting the response from GE to be something to the effect of "the stovetop wasn't constructed to withstand that high of heat for 90+ minutes" - so anything additional would be great.

I have no experience with SS stovetops, but if you bought a stove that incorporates a 20 kBTU burner, shouldn't you be able to use that bad boy for all it's worth? I'd be careful with using aluminum foil in that environment, it could leave worse marks when it melts and be dangerous when it burns.

The blueing is just a cosmetic issue, IMO. I guess it's from the heat built up between the kettle's bottom and the stove top. Has the drip pan also turned blue? Did the kettle turn blue too?

I hear you on the wife, and she's not wrong, it should look like new for many years, with ample use. That's the beauty of SS. It was designed as a stove, to be used as a stove, and it should hold up to that. If you wanted a parlour cabinet you would have bought one instead, and not expect to cook on it.

If anything, be prepared to get the runaround from GE and the outfit you bought it from. Look up what causes the blueing on SS, and why it shouldn't happen. With some facts you can slap something back at them.

I brew in the kitchen too, started on a ceramic stovetop range, switched to using a 240V 3500W Induction Plate. Never looked back...

When we moved in we bought a nice glass top range that included an 11" triple element, with the intention to boil wort on it using a 14" wide 8 gallon triple ply bottomed SS kettle. After a few brews, I was quite disappointed with the performance of that large 11" triple element. It wouldn't give me a constant rolling boil, unless I kept the lid on halfway. I could hear the element cycle off and on perpetually. What really pushed me off the stove and onto the induction plate was the sheer weight of a full kettle on that glass top. It was scary! I would make sure the top was impeccably clean with no grit, sand etc. between the glass and the kettle, in fear for point pressure causing cracks. Even then, I could see the stove wasn't built for that load. I still use the stove for most regular cooking and some smaller brew related heating while the main boil is going on, for example to boil down some extra runnings, make a sugar syrup etc. But for making stocks, large pots of soup, stews, even wokking, I prefer to use the induction plate actually.

I used to brew on the stove, until the gas hob melted from being left on too long with a big pot blocking the heat from escaping. Wife took it OK, but no more brewing inside for me.

I emailed GE - I'm not holding my breath for them revealing anything helpful.

I hadn't thought about the induction plate! The only hitch is the need for an outlet that can supply that kind of power... any idea what it would cost for an electrician to come out to install something like that? It's not the type of thing I would want to take on as a diy. Any recommendation for a brand/model of induction plate? A quick amazon search of your suggested specs brings up a few options in the $250-700 range. That sound about right?

I'm all about brewing outside, but in MN the weather can be prohibitive in the winter, and with two kids under the age of 4 I don't have the luxury of brewing on a whim very often.

Thanks!

I hear you on the wife, and she's not wrong, it should look like new for many years, with ample use. That's the beauty of SS. It was designed as a stove, to be used as a stove, and it should hold up to that. If you wanted a parlour cabinet you would have bought one instead, and not expect to cook on it.

If anything, be prepared to get the runaround from GE and the outfit you bought it from. Look up what causes the blueing on SS, and why it shouldn't happen. With some facts you can slap something back at them.

I brew in the kitchen too, started on a ceramic stovetop range, switched to using a 240V 3500W Induction Plate. Never looked back...

When we moved in we bought a nice glass top range that included an 11" triple element, with the intention to boil wort on it using a 14" wide 8 gallon triple ply bottomed SS kettle. After a few brews, I was quite disappointed with the performance of that large 11" triple element. It wouldn't give me a constant rolling boil, unless I kept the lid on halfway. I could hear the element cycle off and on perpetually. What really pushed me off the stove and onto the induction plate was the sheer weight of a full kettle on that glass top. It was scary! I would make sure the top was impeccably clean with no grit, sand etc. between the glass and the kettle, in fear for point pressure causing cracks. Even then, I could see the stove wasn't built for that load. I still use the stove for most regular cooking and some smaller brew related heating while the main boil is going on, for example to boil down some extra runnings, make a sugar syrup etc. But for making stocks, large pots of soup, stews, even wokking, I prefer to use the induction plate actually.

I used to brew inside and when we got a new stove that pushed me outside. But i always thought the outside electric brewing was starting to get closer to the price of new stove. So i figured who cares, use the new stove, love it, scar it up, and even if i had to rebuy it, it was still cheaper than going electric AND buying new stove. Ultimately decided to go electric outside for 3 reasons ...as you found brewing scars the stove, i wanted to brew faster, and i wanted to be outside making messes. Really wish i would have saved old stove. And brewed in garage. Sorry rambling, ime brewing is going to scar electric stove, not so much gas. If you wanted to stay inside you needed gas, if you like no scar. Btw i did brew on new stove 1 or 2 x i think it is still scarred. Induction, heat sticks, propane outside, electric outside, at least there are other choices. Good cleaners will help. My 2c.

Yep. Melted. Mostly 1 gallon batches too, though quite a lot of them :)

2016-12-12 18.08.05-2.jpg

I emailed GE - I'm not holding my breath for them revealing anything helpful.

I hadn't thought about the induction plate! The only hitch is the need for an outlet that can supply that kind of power... any idea what it would cost for an electrician to come out to install something like that? It's not the type of thing I would want to take on as a diy. Any recommendation for a brand/model of induction plate? A quick amazon search of your suggested specs brings up a few options in the $250-700 range. That sound about right?

I'm all about brewing outside, but in MN the weather can be prohibitive in the winter, and with two kids under the age of 4 I don't have the luxury of brewing on a whim very often.

Thanks!

Not even close. The induction plate many of us are using is the Avantco IC3500 from Webstaurant.com. It runs around $170 plus $10-15 for shipping. It's 3500W and needs a 240V 20A circuit. It's made in China but works great and is very sturdy. I mostly do 5.5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon kettle, but I've put a 15 gallon kettle on it with 12-13 gallons of wort in it. The kettle needs to be magnetic for it to work.

I put the circuit in myself, an 8 feet haul from the main panel, almost straight up. Took me about 4 hours, including clean up. An electrician may charge $250 or more, depending on how far the run is and any complexities in the installation. It doesn't need a GFCI, just a grounded outlet. Maybe you have a friend who's handy with electric and can help you. It's pretty straight forward.

Yep. Melted. Mostly 1 gallon batches too, though quite a lot of them :)

That's scary! Is that melted base plastic? Burners should be able to hold up to cooking. In the 80s I picked up a gas stove that was over 30 years old, all enameled steel, and cast iron where the heat was. Built like it should.

That's scary! Is that melted base plastic? Burners should be able to hold up to cooking. In the 80s I picked up a gas stove that was over 30 years old, all enameled steel, and cast iron where the heat was. Built like it should.

Not sure what it's made from, some kind of alloy, definitely not plastic.

I was pretty unimpressed, I stopped doing 5 gallon batches on the stove a while back so it was the 1 gallon brews that did this. The pot I use is nothing special, same as you would use for cooking pasta or soup.

Awesome. I can do that easy.

Thanks so much!

Not even close. The induction plate many of us are using is the Avantco IC3500 from Webstaurant.com. It runs around $170 plus $10-15 for shipping. It's 3500W and needs a 240V 20A circuit. It's made in China but works great and is very sturdy. I mostly do 5.5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon kettle, but I've put a 15 gallon kettle on it with 12-13 gallons of wort in it. The kettle needs to be magnetic for it to work.

I put the circuit in myself, an 8 feet haul from the main panel, almost straight up. Took me about 4 hours, including clean up. An electrician may charge $250 or more, depending on how far the run is and any complexities in the installation. It doesn't need a GFCI, just a grounded outlet. Maybe you have a friend who's handy with electric and can help you. It's pretty straight forward.

Just to check on something here... the manual states that you shouldn't be using a pot with a diameter larger than 10 1/4", but you cite boiling in 8 and 15 gallon kettles, which likely are larger than that. You haven't had any problems? I think mine is pushing 12" and I don't want to blow this thing out on the first run.

Just to check on something here... the manual states that you shouldn't be using a pot with a diameter larger than 10 1/4", but you cite boiling in 8 and 15 gallon kettles, which likely are larger than that. You haven't had any problems? I think mine is pushing 12" and I don't want to blow this thing out on the first run.

I don't have a clue why that line is in there, I would simply ignore it. The 8 gallon pot is 14" in diameter, the 15 gallon one is 17". They hang well over the sides. Most of us have pots in that range and no-one has reported any problems, whatsoever. They're also pretty sturdy, and can bear the weight of the kettle with 13 gallons of wort, easily.

The only thing I wish is that they'd put a better fan in them. Oh, and make a 5000W or 5500W version for $210.

BTW, have you figured out or heard from GE what causes the unsightly blueing of your stovetop under 20k BTU use? Just curious.

Good to know on the kettle size. I'll cross my fingers.

I did hear back from GE. I didn't ask specifically what might be causing the discoloration, but rather what can be done to prevent it. The response was close to what I expected, unfortunately. My message in bold, their response in italics.

I boiled some water on the power burner on my stove (20000 btu) for about 2 hours, and afterward I noticed some discoloration on the stovetop - blueish/purple. Nothing was spilled during the boil, so I can only assume that it was a reaction to the high heat for an extended period of time. The stove is pretty new and cleaning up the discoloration was VERY time consuming and still hasn't gone away completely. My questions are...

1) What can you suggest for preventing the discoloration from occurring with extended use of the high heat burner? Maybe something I can lay over the stove top that will protect it? Shortening the boil time is not going to happen, so it would be nice if the product could hold up to such intense use.

2) if there is nothing I can do to prevent the discoloration, what do you suggest for cleaning it up quickly?

1) There are not drip pans available as accessories for use on the top of the range.

2) Stainless steel has some unique cleaning characteristics. In order to keep your appliance looking like new, GE Appliances recommends cleaning it with the following:
Cerama Bryte® stainless steel appliance cleaner on stainless steel exteriors or interiors. This can be purchased through GE Appliance Parts, 16 oz bottle Part number PM10X311.
Citrushine Stainless Steel Wipes, removes fingerprints, de-greases and shines without streaking. This can be purchased through GE Appliance Parts, Part number WX10X10007.
For heavy soils: Use a paste of baking soda and water while rubbing with a soft cloth.

So (1) they never gave any ideas for preventing it, which makes me think the person I spoke with really has no clue. Perhaps I should press harder, but I don't think it'll be worth my time. As for clean-up (2) we've tried all three ideas they suggest - the same ones found on their website - and none made any difference whatsoever. Barkeepers friend is the only thing that has cleaned up the discoloration, but only after several cleanings over time. As if I needed another reason to move to the induction burner and/or my garage...

I don't have a clue why that line is in there, I would simply ignore it. The 8 gallon pot is 14" in diameter, the 15 gallon one is 17". They hang well over the sides. Most of us have pots in that range and no-one has reported any problems, whatsoever. They're also pretty sturdy, and can bear the weight of the kettle with 13 gallons of wort, easily.

The only thing I wish is that they'd put a better fan in them. Oh, and make a 5000W or 5500W version for $210.

BTW, have you figured out or heard from GE what causes the unsightly blueing of your stovetop under 20k BTU use? Just curious.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this staining/discoloration from excessive high heat on stainless steel stovetops? I've thought of just lining the stovetop with aluminum foil, but I would think that would only save me in the case of boilovers.

Any help is appreciated!!

Go to auto parts store and look for an anti-blueing compound for stainless. Usually near the waxes/cleaners, etc. Otherwise check motorcycle parts stores for it, its used alot on SS exhaust pipes where high heat for extended peroids does the same thing with blue and even rainbow colorations. Cyclegear and motorcycle superstore are both likely to carry if you cant find locally.

Good to know on the kettle size. I'll cross my fingers.

I did hear back from GE....

No need to cross fingers with your "oversized" kettle. The "inducted" disc that generates all the heat in your pot is about 6" in diameter. It's heat dispersion from thereon.

Now if you're like me, and don't mind spending some time rattling their cages, I would get on GE's case though. They didn't even address the question/problem you experienced with the blueing, which shouldn't happen with "normal use." Since the range is equipped with a 20 kBTU burner, you should be able to use it, normally, for example, to boil a large pot of soup. If not, what else is its function? Bragging rights? If you can't use it, they should specify it exclusively, to alert you. As in engraving the area with "DO NOT USE!" Or something like that.

Needless to say their recommended cleaners are for light cleaning duties and mostly cosmetic use (wipes).

Back