Pressurized Fermentation- Longer to Clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micraftbeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently started playing around with fermentation under pressure. With my previous process, I would ferment in one vessel, transfer to a keg with a floating dip tube to cold crash at 35F for ~3 days, and then transfer to serving keg. (I stopped using gelatin finings a while back because I didn't like the process of water, microwave, stirring, waiting, etc, and the beer seemed to come out "clear enough for me" with just cold crashing.)

On my couple of batches under pressure, I fermented in a FermZilla All Rounder, and I loved how the whole fermentor fit in my beer fridge. I skipped the the whole cold crash keg phase, and cold crashed right in the fermentor before transferring to my serving keg. My first batch, I thought the beer was notably hazier than my previous process would've been. My next batch, I made a double batch and split it between 2 fermentors (one under pressure, one cold fermented), and I had a good A:B comparison and saw the pressure fermented one was hazier.

I'm wondering if this has something to do either with fermenting under pressure or cold crashing under pressure, or whether this if from cold crashing in my fermentor with yeast on the bottom.

Has anyone had any experiences like this?

Back