Pressurized Corny Ferment Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
Recently had some problems with carboys. Been using them for 15 years and I'm getting tired of moving them and having a difficult time with pressurized transfers. Also too busy to keep the airlocks filled and don't like suck back on blow off tubes.

I keg with pin locks and have a dozen lying around. Been researching pressurized ferments (thank you WortMonger!) and wanted to make sure my setup would work. If you have experience please weigh in. My goals are:

1. Full 5g batches in a 5g corny
2. Pressurized oxygen free transfers
3. Minimal space needs (flexible)

My plan was to use two corny kegs per batch. One would be the fermenting vessel and the other the serving vessel. The gas post of the fermenter would be connected to beer post on serving vessel. Spunding valve would be on the gas post of serving keg. Both would obviously be sanitized and sealed. This would allow plenty of space for blow off to protect the spunding valve. Assuming no blowoff, I could simply attach a jumper cable between the two kegs, set the spunding to serving volume and attach gas to fermenter to transfer.

Would this work? Is the second keg necessary? Does pressurized fermentation and Fermcap-S really prevent blowout?

Maybe I'm missing something cause this sounds like a great idea. I ferment 3.5gals in 5gal cornies, and this sounds like such a great way to do full batches. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Does this prevent blowoff because both kegs are under pressure? What pressure do you start with in each keg and what would you set the spunding valve relief pressure at?

Does this prevent blowoff because both kegs are under pressure? What pressure do you start with in each keg and what would you set the spunding valve relief pressure at?

You still get kraussen, but when it's under pressure it's less than when you ferment at atmospheric pressure.

I've found with lagers i can fill a corny fermenter to about the top weld and with 3.5 psi i rarely get more than about 1cm.

Ales are another story though. Something like 1056 you just aren't going to stop. For that i'd recommend taking the gas post off and attaching a blow off for the first 2 days or so. Once things calm down, re-attach the post and start to spund.

Thanks for the link and advice guys! Schematix- this is exactly what I was looking for. I was not thinking specifically about all the ways to get dissolved o2 as low as you do but I certainly will. My biggest concern is blow off. My brew sessions are big IPA - something else - big IPA. Been wanting to find a way to tame the 1318 Krausen.

I'm worried if I use this method on a 1.070 IPA it will explode. Can I pull the poppet from the gas out on the fv and potentially get a better blow off tube function into the sv? I could then burp the fv at cold crash to bring the blow off back home?

In short will the post hold pressure without a poppet in there? Is there enough space without the poppet to avoid sticking?

This is what I’m doing right now.... dip tube, poppet and post removed.

View attachment IMG_5572.jpg

This is temporary due to it being a 1.060 IPA. Normally lagers don't need this at all. Somewhere between 2-3 days when the blow off subsides I’ll re-insert the dip tube, post and poppet (and also dry hop it!). Then I’ll connect the SK and the spund valve to start the pressure fermenting stage.

Yah it’s the 1/2” thick walled silicone from brew hardware with a not sturdy enough zip tie I’m about to upgrade.

I filled this one to 3/4” below the top weld. Most lagers I fill to the top weld or slightly above.

Is this the answer to all my overflow problems? Should be able to do 10g batches of real big beers in here.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kegs/Kegco-HS-BT15.5G-brite-tank.html

Would be perfect for pressurized ferments. I could daisy chain two water purged servings kegs to accept co2 during ferment with a spunding valve on the last one. The four inch opening seems nice for cleaning compared with a keg whose spear has been removed and retrofitted.

Thoughts? Downside other than expense?

Back