Pressure valve thing for keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I posted on uk "real ale" brewing and I noticed one of the big differences between that and what I do is that they let it carbonate in secondary rather than force carbing or bottle priming. I don't know what they use to prevent the keg from blowing up, but they must either know exactly what the yeast is doing and the resulting pressure or have some kind of pressure valve that will bleed out CO2 if the level gets too high.

Does this thing exist (say, a valve that you put on your keg or carboy that only allows it to reach a certain PSI?)?

All real ale does is naturally carbonate in a keg (they call them casks). Today, they resemble the 1/2bbl kegs Skilled brewers will transfer to the cask before fermentation is finished. Once in the cask they seal it, and the beer continues to ferment. Its really the exact same thing as bottle conditioning, except they are doing an entire keg. They are NOT carbonating in a secondary vessel (bucket, glass carboy or otherwise).

Read that Closed System Pressurized Fermentation thread, you can build an adjustable Spunding Valve from parts at a big box store.

Back