Pressure relief on import kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KwaiLo

Reaction score
I can't say I've ever seen fittings like that. What brewery did they come from?
I found a list of various couplers, but they don't seem too helpful as to saying how exactly to vent the pressure.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/keg-taps-couplers-cid-801.html

The first one looks like a tube pushes down on the other tube inside, and the other one, maybe press the button in the middle?

What I did to mine when I cut mine for my brewery was to drill a 1/8 inch hole in the top to relieve the pressure. Worked for me.

Allan

KwaiLo said:
I don't want a face full of bad beer or cider when I take the plasma gun to these.

I got a face full of good beer a few weeks ago when I was dialing in my BMBF. I invented a new word for the event:

brewkakke: Getting a face full of beer while playing with your brewing equipment.

jds said:
brewkakke: Getting a face full of beer while playing with your brewing equipment.

I love it!

I think I am going to go with the drill a few holes before I plasma idea. I have to take them to work to plasma them though, so it might be pretty funky in my car by the end of the day when I can cut them.....

They are mostly Guinness, but there is one half full of cider that I can't identify...

I am very afraid of that one.

The second is a Grundy keg. If you press down on the black rubber you will relieve the pressure. I am not sure how to disassemble, I think that the whole thing twists off.

The second is a Grundy keg. If you press down on the black rubber you will relieve the pressure. I am not sure how to disassemble, I think that the whole thing twists off.

Fighting with one today. After it's vented, gripping the center step and turning it 1/4 turn clockwise will drop the spear into the keg. After that, I'm stuck.

A 16" pipe wrench won't screw it out. The head (Pic #2 - surrounds the black ring, somewhat shaped like a triangle) will turn a few degrees (~1/16") in each direction and stop. Looking at it, there are two guide keys that protrude into the head piece. Through a small slot (4, evenly spaced) I can also see what looks like a slot in the head piece. It appears that you depress the head and then rotate it (like a medicine bottle). That said I've not been able to depress it manually, or with a crowbar...

Fighting with one today. After it's vented, gripping the center step and turning it 1/4 turn clockwise will drop the spear into the keg. After that, I'm stuck.

A 16" pipe wrench won't screw it out. The head (Pic #2 - surrounds the black ring, somewhat shaped like a triangle) will turn a few degrees (~1/16") in each direction and stop. Looking at it, there are two guide keys that protrude into the head piece. Through a small slot (4, evenly spaced) I can also see what looks like a slot in the head piece. It appears that you depress the head and then rotate it (like a medicine bottle). That said I've not been able to depress it manually, or with a crowbar...

I couldn't ever figure it out either. I used some channel locks on it for a while, beat it a while. I finally just jammed something into the rubber to vent it, and then cut the top off with the valve assembled.

I'm still debating on keggle vs. fermenter. These kegs are only 13.2 so their usefulness in a 10gal setup is limited.

That, and someone else may need the information later. I have one so I might as well figure it out and post the info for anyone who may need it.

Ok, here's what I have found out so far by banging, beating, prying, and peeping through cracks. Behind the plastic band, there are 6 slots around the neck. Behind those slots is an internal snap ring that holds the spear in. If you are familiar with a car piston, it's not unlike a compression ring, except that it snaps into a groove in the cylinder wall.

Once the spear is locked into place, you must use a special tool to compress all 6 slots at once. That should allow the spear to be removed, but I have not been successful so I'm not completely sure. It is doubtful that I will try any more as that would require making a special tool to compress the snap ring.

Hope that helps.

Philip< did you ever figure out how to open the keg once the spear dropped? I ask because that is exactly where I am right now with the Grundy (micro matic) Bass keg i just bought. it was in storage for 10 years and full of beer. smells like some strong wine, but I'm not tasting it. I tried a pipe wrench on the top but it only moves about 1/4 an inch. so there has got to be something else to do before you can unscrew it.

I just picked up one of these, an Anchor keg from _way_ back. I managed to relieve the pressure, but with all I've seen here, I'm not even going to try to get the spear out. I'm just going to cut the top off with it in. Thanks!

Back