Pressure fermentation at traditional lagering temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
Longtime lurker, first time poster with three questions and an experiment.

1.) Has anyone tried pressure fermenting at traditional lager temps (i.e. spunding at ~12 psi for the entire fermentation)? I'm doing this with my batch now mainly out of curiosity. I found an abundance of articles studying higher temp pressurized lager fermentation, but relatively little information on pressurized primary fermentation at standard lager temps. I cool to 46 F prior to pitch in a lager chamber at 48 F. Using Wyeast 2124.

2.) I have a hot break that has a red tint to it. Wort tastes fine and doesnt have this color. Could this be manganese sulfide or a product of ascorbic acid? A Brewtan B-metal complex? This is my first batch on a new setup so it's possible I'm leachimg metals and this will go away. Its all ss304 or other chromium-containing steel, no 201 or cast iron or anything like that.

3.) For my last brew (15 gal of pale lager featuring Tettnanger) I allowed cold break to form, then used a 3 plate coarse filter on half of the wort. The filtered wort and unfiltered wort are fermenting in separate kegs. I had read a post from Die Beerery with a Kunze reference suggesting a limited amount of break was beneficial to flavor stability, but only up to a point. Has anyone tried this technique on a lodo before? What were the results?

My setup is a 2V eBIAB. Using all (?) of the usual lodo techniques: YOS, all SS, underletting, mash cap, AA/NaMeta/BrewtanB, runoff from mashtun to BK to separate gunk, closed transfers, pitch rates >2.5 mil cells/ml/°P, healthy active starter, others not coming to mind.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
1.) Has anyone tried pressure fermenting at traditional lager temps (i.e. spunding at ~12 psi for the entire fermentation)? I'm doing this with my batch now mainly out of curiosity. I found an abundance of articles studying higher temp pressurized lager fermentation, but relatively little information on pressurized primary fermentation at standard lager temps. I cool to 46 F prior to pitch in a lager chamber at 48 F. Using Wyeast 2124.
Curiosity is about the only reason I can think of to do this. But I'd expect a slower fermentation, and slower cleanup of diacetyl, acetaldehyde, etc., due to the pressure.