Pressure Barrel Re-Pressuring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeb9

Reaction score
Hello!
I've had my brew on for 3/4 weeks in the pressure barrel, and even though I added the correct amount of sugar the barrel didn't seem to pressurise. I can get just under half a pint out before it stops, then a couple days later it will let me get another nearly half a pint, and that's it.
I have bought a CO2 bulb which you screw onto the top and it releases CO2 into the barrel.
As the barrel is nearly full to its max level line, I was worried about how much CO2 I can put in the barrel. Can I just use the whole CO2 bulb, or would this put too much pressure into the barrel? I'm just not sure how much to put into it!
Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you.

Any help is appreciated!
Maybe if I had the tap open whilst putting the CO2 in would help?

I havent used a pressure barrel, but some searching reveals that the priming sugar is only intended to carb the beer, and you will need CO2 cartridges to dispense.
I would just add in short bursts until you can dispense and likely every few pints you will need to add another "shot" of CO2.

Lemme know how it goes!

Ok thank you! I was just a little nervous putting a shot bulb in there if it exploded or something, haha!

I would imagine it would leak long before it exploded, but I suppose that also depends on what type of vessel it is.
For instance, if it was designed to hold in pressure to carbonate the beer then it should be OK with a bit more, just go slow and stop when you have your serving pressure.

Back