Preserving Mozzarella

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThorGodOfThunder

Reaction score
I love mozzarella, however one gallon of milk makes a rather large amount of cheese for one person to eat without risking severe intestinal distress. I've read a few articles online that each suggest something different. Whey, brine, vacuum-pack, oil, freezing, etc...

What tricks do you use to extend the life of fresh mozzarella?

I freeze store bought mozz all the time and it does just fine on my pizzas. Granted it's the frigo I buy at Costco which is pretty low moisture compared to fresh.

We freeze cheese all the time! We make pizza once a month and when there is extra cheese goes right in the freezer for the next pie!

Make sure it is air tight or vacuumed sealed would be best...either way never had a problem!

We freeze mozzarella and parmesean all the time.

I haven't attempted to store mozz for any length of time yet, I just save my cheese making for when I have guests over or when I go to someone else's house where it will be consumed rather quickly.

It sounds like vacuum packing and freezing is the way to go. I reckon I could cut a ball into cubes and freeze them in a ziplock bag if I'm good at getting all of the air out. Then I can just take out a few cubes and throw the rest back in the freezer.

Back