preserving apples with campden tablets ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1miniman

Reaction score
hi guys

i have just picked all my apples and started milling them only to find my press is broken. just ordered a new one but will take up to a week to arrive.
now its no problem storing the whole apples but milled ones im not sure what to do
i was wandering if i crush a few campden tablets up and throw them in the milled apples in a air tight container would they keep till my press arrives? and how many tablets would i have to use?

or is there something else i can do to stop them spoiling???

thanks MM

That what I'm doing with the whole apples but I have pulped half of them and don't want them to spoil while I'm waiting on a new press

That what I'm doing with the whole apples but I have pulped half of them and don't want them to spoil while I'm waiting on a new press
What ever happened with this?
I am looking at preserving apple slices and I've read about sulfur candles and I have Camden tablets from my home brewing and I'm wondering if I make a solution can I dip my slices in the solution and then dry them?

What ever happened with this?
I am looking at preserving apple slices and I've read about sulfur candles and I have Camden tablets from my home brewing and I'm wondering if I make a solution can I dip my slices in the solution and then dry them?

I have never added anything when drying fruit as the process itself actually preserves them, no Camden tablets should be necessary. But I read somewhere that Camden tablets were originally developed for this purpose actually, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. No idea how much is needed. I think if I treated the apple slices with anything I would just dip them in lemon juice or ascorbic acid to prevent browning, but that's just me.

Back