Prepping Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efox3

Reaction score
I have read some different theories of prepping oak chips for adding to fermentation. Most videos I see are with people creating "burbon barrel" beers so they soak them in whiskey, what if you are not soaking them in alcohol? Do you need to steam them?

Steam them. I steamed mine (cubes) for about 10 min or so. Put them in a strainer over a boiling pot of water and covered them. Worked perfectly fine.

To me, seems steaming might take some of the "oomph" out of the chips.

I baked mine in the toaster oven at 225 for 30 minutes, stirred, then jacked up the heat to get a little toast on them. Seemed to work.

Thanks EMHS. Did you loose anything in taste from steaming them? I have also heard people just poor the water that they boiled into the carboy to maintain the flavor that came out of the oak

Thanks EMHS. Did you loose anything in taste from steaming them? I have also heard people just poor the water that they boiled into the carboy to maintain the flavor that came out of the oak

It was the first time using oak for me. I did not save the water. Just used the cubes. I wanted a subtle oak flavor vs in your face. I added them to a heavy brown I made and it turned out great.

Back