Prepping New Oak Barrel for RIS aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I recently received a new 5G oak barrel (Deep South Barrels) ordered with a heavy char. The barrel has not been prepped so I am hoping for some advice before filling.

My goal will be to infuse at least a small amount of bourbon flavor, but certainly not 5 gallons worth to soak into the wood staves. I was considering a small amount to soak and keep swishing around before I do the hydration to swell the staves. However, will this hot water swelling process take away most of the bourbon nuance? Maybe I should just add a cup of bourbon to the RIS when filling?

Sanitation. The RIS should have some impact by protecting itself against bugs with a high ABV. Should I be concerned (new barrel) or will the ABV take care of most infection concerns?

Appreciate any help and advice.

I’d swell the staves first then roll a few cups of bourbon around in it for a few days/weeks prior to filling it with the stout. I highly doubt you need to be concerned with infection. It’s a clean new barrel and it’s the leftover sugars that would lead to infection concerns. Wood offers relatively good microbial protection. Think cutting boards in the kitchen

I appreciate your feedback, DCP. Additionally the barrel has a heavy char inside which may help stave off nasties too. I'll follow your advice which is a good plan. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back