Prepping for electric brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I asked this in the electric brewing thread, but got no response. Maybe I can get an answer here.

I am planning a kitchen renovation, and it is the room that leads on to the garage. Being that it is a deep garage and I can fit a car and a half in there, I am pondering possibly going electric. Since I am already going to be running an additional 220 circuit to the kitchen (the oven is sorta piggybacked off the clothes dryer circuit, its a secondary kitchen) I am thinking that this is a good time to at the very least run another circuit or so while I have the walls/ceiling open for if\when I get the funds together and build an electric rig.

My question is, since I tend to brew 5-12 gallon batches, and might possibly go up to 15, how many circuits and of what type of service should I run? Or, alternatively, should I just run a secondary fuse box to the garage?

I would opt for a subpanel in the garage. You can run a large feeder to the subpanel now that your walls are open without having to decide exactly where the receptacles for your brewing equipment will need to be. You would also have more flexibility to run new circuits in the garage in the future (new lighting, heater, etc.).

I agree with bsperr with running a subpanel into your garage.

If you are brewing 5 - 12 gallon batches, you would need to match the circuit breaker and wire to the Amperage the electric system for your brewery will be rated at.

Also, make sure it's GFI as well. I installed a 40 AMP GFI circuit breaker into my fuse panel fro my electrical setup. I also custom built my electric control box with all 40 amp components as well.

Back