Prepare apples without a press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I do not have a fruit crusher or an apple press. Is there a reasonable way to make 5-10 gallons of cider without those tools? I may eventually acquire the tools, but not this year. I have access to heirloom cider apples for $0.50/lb.

A domestic juicer will do it but you will get juice that is quite pulpy and foamy soit takes some time to clear (if you want clear cider). The problem with juicers is that they tend to take only one apple at a time, can overheat if they are run continuously, and the yield is only about a gallon of juice from 120 - 150 apples.

I have used our kitchen juicer for 1/2 gallon test batches and it works O.K. albeit a bit slow and messy.

Check U tube for videos showing how to crush apples with a 4x4 or piece of a tree limb and a bucket and then how to make a press with 2 buckets, a drill and a car jack. I've used a heavy duty Breville juicer, but I was unhappy with the yield, the amount of solids in the juice and a weird foam that developed.

I don't have anything to add, other than having apples and no press. My parents have 5 or 6 good sized apple trees, so it'd basically be free to get a pickup load of apples. My mom makes a lot of apple sauce, but you can only eat so much of that!

I've watched the Youtube videos about people using hyudraulic presses to do the job. NOt sure I'm ready to commit to that either.

Try your local home brew store. Mine has presses that they rent. They may be busy this time of year, but many apples will keep for a month or more if stored in a cool place.

I use concentrate, and then run 10 pounds through a juicer for flavor. Usually Granny Smith.

Try your local home brew store. Mine has presses that they rent. They may be busy this time of year, but many apples will keep for a month or more if stored in a cool place.

This is the best idea by far. Most homebrew shops that sell wine equipment and kits will have a crusher to rent or for use on site. This is going to get you the best product unless you have a hydraulic press you're dying to use.

If you have u-pick farms or wineries in the area they may have a crusher they would let you use.

Back