Prep for first solo all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdog

Reaction score
So, I have collected all that I need minus a few things to try my hand at an all grain recipe. I only have a Mash tun/sparg bucket and a propane burner left to purchase and/or build. I have a plan to convert a large picnic cooler into my mash tun and was thinking of putting off the burner purchase. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has boiled a Wert over a conventional electric stove? Is this a viable solution for the early batches? Does anyone have suggestion on an alternative?

Thanks!:mug:

You should test your stove-top with a starting volume of water to see how long it will take to get to boil.

Some set the kettle on two burners, others split the wort/wert into two smaller kettles.

Use the search function 'stove-top' etc. plenty of info here

I have an electric stove and the most it will boil (on two burners) is around 4 gallons. And that 4 gallons ain't much of a boil. For all-grain you really need to do a full boil, which includes the amount you'll boil off. If your kitchen stove can get 6 gallons to boil, your in the minority, but in great shape.

Back