Premature rack to secondary on my Cherry Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athanasius

Reaction score
I am doing a Cherry Wit recipe posted by rdwj (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21341).

After 10 days in the primary the bubbling was down to about once a minute so I popped it open and saw that there was krausen but it had subsided about an inch from it's highest point. I took a hydro reading and it was 1.009 (OG was 1.045). Since I had already pasteurized my cherries and sanitized everything I just decided to go ahead and rack to my 5 gal carboy.

Soon after racking the bubbling has picked up to once every 10 seconds and there is foam a rising (see photo below). Should I be concerned? I am worried that when I wake up in the morning I will find foam all in the airlock...

cherrywit20070716.jpg

No worries. The probably just the sugars in the cherries fermenting.

EDIT: Oh, and good idea about the blow-off tube. Make sure it's big enough that a cherry wont clog it...

Well I don't have a blow off tube. How thick does the hose have to be? I am wondering if I can use my siphon hose and cut one of my cheapy single-piece airlocks (as the bottom fits into the siphon hose), but I am thinking that this blow-off tube concept needs a wider diameter?

Thanks for the info guys. Btw, no probs with cherries getting stuck because after I pasteurized them I mashed and blended them into a puree.

If you have an old racking cane you can cut that, attach the siphon tube and place that into a bowl of water. Otherwise you can do what I did with my first beer that foamed over and just add vodka to the airlock and change every 5-8 hours with a new airlock full of new vodka. Until you can get a blow off tube setup.

Back