Pre-made wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
So both bells and paw paw brewery do a homebrew competition where they supply you with 5 gallons of wort

How do I know what they used? Do I mash with the wort or am I simply steeping grains and then brewing extract?

Wort means it's already been mashed and everything. You just have to ferment with the yeast of your choice, dry hop if you want to, oak age, etc.

No information at all about the wort? Go by the color, taste, and specific gravity of the wort for what it can be possibly be used as a base for. You can modify the SG with extract, modify the body with unfermentables, and really play with hop additions. Balancing the hops, what blends together and what doesn't, is an art (research) in itself, and learning about the BU/GU ratio.

I honestly don't know if they give info or not.

I know a guy from work and his wife entered the bells one and they made two completely different styles of beers

I was hoping to know what malt they started with so I could possibly do like a strawberry blonde or something along those lines

A home brew competition with pre-made wort and you have no idea what it is... why enter at all?

Something doesn't sound right about that.

The only 2 competitions close to me...they may tell people what the wort is I'm not sure...worst case scenario I get a free batch of beer

The only 2 competitions close to me...they may tell people what the wort is I'm not sure...worst case scenario I get a free batch of beer

Went to google... they tell you what it is. It is unhopped and you complete the kettle boil.

Going to their website seemed to help... since they are the ones doing the comp.

Well alright...suppose I rushed to starting this thread...thanks though

Previously it's been a basic 2-row wort at about 1.050 which you boil down to whatever gravity you want and add your own hops, specialty malts, and whatever.

Latest posts

Back