Pre chiller for plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack04

Reaction score
I have a 25-ft copper immersion pre chiller that I use with my plate chiller. I brewed last week in 100 degree texas heat and I was only able to the wort temp down to the mid 80's. This was using a very low flow rate from my march pump. I was thinking about adding another chiller in series. I have a metal recycle yard close by that sells rolls of new 50-ft copper for scrap prices. The question I have is whether or not geometry makes a big difference in a pre chiller? Could I just leave the copper coiled up and solder fittings on?

A pre-chiller is a good idea. I wouldn't bother with the solder unless you really want to do it. You can grab some vinyl tubing and worm clamps to achieve the same effect.

Thanks. The main purpose of the thread was to discuss whether or not geometry makes a big difference in a pre chiller. Could I just leave the copper coiled up or should I spend the time to tighten the coils and separate so that is resembles an immersion chiller?

Back