Pre-carbonated Pilsner tasting yeasty and watered down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binaryc0de

Torrence Brewing
Reaction score
So this was my first attempt at a lager. I brewed the following Pilsner recipe

5.25 lbs Pale DME
2.5 oz Sazz (Bittering)
1.75 oz Sazz (Flavor)
Irish Moss
Steeped Grains:
0.5lb Munich Malt
0.25lb Crystal Malt
Yeast:
Wyeast Czech Pilsner (2278)

I smacked the pack although it did swell it only swelled slightly. I didn't use a starter (I know better now). I went ahead 12 hours after smacking the pack pitched the yeast to the 70 deg wort (Planned on going after a D-reset later) and stuck in the ref to chill to 55 deg. After 72 hours of no fermentation (Hydrometer readings confirmed). I assumed dead yeast and bought a new smack pack. Smacked the pack… Same thing happened. It did swell but only slightly. I re-pitched and within 24 hours I was seeing slow fermentation. So I kept an eye on my hydrometer readings and when it was about 75% of the way done I went after a D-reset and then down to 45 degs for about 2 weeks. The problem is that it taste yeasty and watered down, like yeast water and completely undrinkable… the taste reminds me of how old damp rags smell. I decided to try my luck and bottled it anyway to see what happens, but I was curious if there were any thoughts as to what the issue is. Did the dead yeast possibly produce this taste?

I have brewed several lagers since then and now 8 months later this one has improved but it is still not good. I'm not exactly sure what happened but I do have my theories...
1. didn't get enough aeration.
2. Older yeast (Should have made a starter)

the first batch wasn't dead. you pitched it in warm wort then cooled it. the yeast went into thermal shock and shut down. if you had left it they probably would of picked up again. 72 hours is nothing when it comes to yeast especially if you didn't make a starter.

did you rack off the yeast before you lagered? 2 weeks of lagering is probably not enough for that beer. a month might of been better. when you tasted it it was green and of course going to taste bad and watery.

Think I'd just chalk it up to under pitching.

If you stick with Wyeast just allow a couple days after smacking. After it's obviously kicking add it to a 500ml (give or take) starter. In the case of lager yeast then take the 500ml and split that into two 2000ml starters. I prefer to let that ferment out and allow the yeast to drop, then I'll pitch the slurry. I'll allow at least a week if not more to do all this.

Back