Pre Boil/Post Boil Gravity Oddity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperlester

Reaction score
Brewed a pale ale today (BIAB, but that is irrelevant to this question).

Pre-boil volume: 8.9g
Pre-boil gravity: 1.03

Post-boil volume: 6.2g
Post-boil gravity: 1.039

My question... does that seem a little odd? I have an temperature correcting refractometer, so temps shouldn't matter, but with the expected OG being closer to 1.047, I'm a little confused. Does that seem right? (I'm a bit too far into a the "sampling session" to do much more than add 15 minutes to the boil and post here. BrewersFriend says we're well short of what we should be at, even with the 6.2g remaining).

Thoughts?

Many thanks!

-Piperlester

I used those numbers two different ways to come up with an answer, and assuming the pre- and post-boil volumes and pre-boil gravity were accurate both methods point to a post-boil gravity of 1.043. Using that value, if you wanted to get to an actual post-boil gravity of 1.047 you'd need to get the post-boil volume down to 5.7 gallons...which doesn't seem unreasonable for volume to fermentor...

Cheers!

Thanks guys - I panicked for nothing, added 15 minutes to the boil and ended up around 5.75g and the hydrometer reading 1.05. Looks like all is well in beertopia.

Back