pre boil gravity hydro sample question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_stout

Reaction score
So i forgot to take my pre boil gravity until my wort was almost to a boil (~190F). I took the sample but as it has cooled a lot of break material has setllted at the bottom. Should I just take the sample as is or try to siphon out the liquid, leaving the break, and then take the reading? Thanks

For what it is worth, I never have taken a pre boil gravity reading. I just boil it and hydro it before I pitch. I suppose if you REALLY want to get to a certain gravity, and want to add more fermentables you can. If you are set on taking it, I would get some of the break out of it. What I mean is you don't want your hydrometer in a 1/2 sample of break material if you can avoid it. You also need to cool the sample off for an acurate reading.

I'm under the impression that hydrometers only measure things dissolved into solution. I suppose the particulate matter in suspension could alter the reading slightly, but that should be negligible. And of course, make sure the break material isn't physically interfering with the float of the hydrometer. I could be wrong as I've not tested this, but that's what I've heard.

Just take a big enough sample so that you can let it settle and pour off of the clear wort on top. If a little break material gets in it won't hurt anything...

Latest posts

Back