Prayers for Texas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh. The sun will still come up tomorrow. And the next. And the next...

Texas is probably tough enough to handle some rain. Everything is bigger in Texas...right? I have faith that Texans will pull through.

:mug:

It is up to a category 4 hurricane now. Low coast and lots of rain will cause a lot of flooding. The Texans will pull through but it is not going to be easy.

It's a direct hit to our winter town. My neighbors and friends that I could contact are evacuated and are safe, although the flooding should go all the way inland to San Antonio. I don't have much there (a bike, other junk) but the house we rent is older and is likely to be a total loss. My next door neighbor is safe in Waco with her family.

The mayor of Rockport said they estimate that 30-40% of the population did NOT evacuate. He also gave a radio address to those who stayed, suggesting that they use a sharpie and write their names and social security numbers on their arms. He wasn't joking, as it was a very strong warning to evacuate or risk death. He said the markings will help identify the bodies.

It's pretty bad- the town will be underwater for at least 3-4 days, without water, electricity, or services. It's still over 80 degrees, and is hitting the shore right now. It's a disaster. The last category 4 to hit the Texas coast was in 1961. I hate to personalize something so huge, but everything I know in this area is already damaged and some are gone.

Several of my friends reported to me that they saw/heard people left dogs tied in their yards, and pets inside their mobile hops when they evacuated. :(

My daughter lives in Houston Heights. I'm not all that worried about her.

My parents live a little farther inland -- near Conroe. My dad's 87th birthday is tomorrow. I am a little worried about them, cuz if the power goes out it can be out for weeks. Hurricanes Ike and Rita were pretty tough on them.

Daughter and parents are both on relatively high ground, so flooding may be a nuisance but is not likely to be a big problem for them. But it might be for their neighbors. Wish I was there to help, but I'm 1200 miles away.

My experiences with hurricanes was that they were much ado about nothing. Sure, if your levee breaks and the area is flooded, that's a mess. But for the most part, it's only a threat to the handicapped and elderly and otherwise immobile. You can pedal away from a hurricane given the advanced warning these days. If you are in a low-lying area and you risk it, you'd better be ready for the risk.

These things are media sensations for bored people I'm afraid.

It's a direct hit to our winter town. My neighbors and friends that I could contact are evacuated and are safe, although the flooding should go all the way inland to San Antonio. I don't have much there (a bike, other junk) but the house we rent is older and is likely to be a total loss. My next door neighbor is safe in Waco with her family.

The mayor of Rockport said they estimate that 30-40% of the population did NOT evacuate. He also gave a radio address to those who stayed, suggesting that they use a sharpie and write their names and social security numbers on their arms. He wasn't joking, as it was a very strong warning to evacuate or risk death. He said the markings will help identify the bodies.

It's pretty bad- the town will be underwater for at least 3-4 days, without water, electricity, or services. It's still over 80 degrees, and is hitting the shore right now. It's a disaster. The last category 4 to hit the Texas coast was in 1961. I hate to personalize something so huge, but everything I know in this area is already damaged and some are gone.

Several of my friends reported to me that they saw/heard people left dogs tied in their yards, and pets inside their mobile hops when they evacuated. :(

The pet thing probably pisses me off more than the idiots that won't leave. I mean it's not like this was a fly by the seat of your pants emergency, they knew. There is a special place in hell for people that do that to animals. Just MOI

The last category 4 to hit the Texas coast was in 1961. I hate to personalize something so huge, but everything I know in this area is already damaged and some are gone.

Carla. I think I remember that one just barely. But I would have been young enough at the time that probably it's just false memories from hearing the old folks talk about it.

Sandy did an enormous amount of damage and killed many people in New York and New Jersey, mostly from flooding. In our case it was tide surge. This storm is moving very slowly and will have plenty of time to do harm. I agree that TV weather people often exaggerate, but I am concerned for Texas. People will die, homes will be lost.
Prayer said.

Rockport, TX is decimated. Few reports are coming out, due to the impassible roads. Rescue crews from neighboring towns can't get through because of the downed trees and power lines. Before the cell service went out, there were emergency calls from people trapped in their homes by trees and things. I was on Facebook last night, and a woman posted on the Rockport facebook page "My roof just blew off- where can I go?" and the answers were to stay put until they could get out and get to the shelter- if the shelter was still standing.

I know some people couldn't evacuate for health reasons maybe, but people that choose to stay to protect against looters are a very sad case.

After Katrina, Houston was EXTREMELY helpful to those in my area affected. I am hoping to be able to pay if forward in some way or another.
Thoughts and prayers go out to my Texas friends. I wish you all safety and a quick trip back to normalcy.

Sounds like the good people of your state were heading out ASAP.
Cajun Navy is on its way

I saw Rockport on Special Report tonight. I hope the video only showed the worst parts, because every building filmed was destroyed.

No, it's pretty universally destroyed. There doesn't seem to be anything much still standing, and the ones that are standing are mostly irreparably damaged.

I have one friend whose house seems ok from videos, although things like the water heater, lower level storage garage, and the AC unit and plumbing pipes are gone or all over. The house itself may be structurally ok, but he won't know for a long time. Interestingly enough, my $20 bicycle is still in his yard.

I saw one video where another neighbors house looked ok from the street, with just a broken window and some roof damage. This guy was my first neighbor on our first trip to that neighborhood. The house we rented was the one closest to the truck- the blue one. It's a total loss.
His house is the third one down from the truck, here:
ronshouse.JPG

But last night he texted me a photo from closer:
ronshouse2.JPG

Yikes. This was a lot worse than I imagined from the pre-strike news accounts. I can't say they were taken by surprise, but it feels as though many areas were hit harder than they expected. And flooding is going to continue to be a huge problem for a while.

Unbelievable that people would do this to their dogs. If I could only track those people down...Let's just say I would have something to say about that for sure.

Really sorry for the town on the other hand. Sorry about your place as well!

I got over 2 feet in my house, lost a barley wine I had just started the week before (chest freezer tipped over), still waiting a few days before trying the three carboys that sat in water for a day, no signs of mold growth yet. House is remediated, drying out, just waiting to get started. On the plus side, my new 20 cu ft kegerator seems to have survived!

Latest posts

Back